Trunk Actuator

drj

2001 LS430 Trunk actuator-activating trunk by key remote switch results in audible "beep" but trunk latch does not engage/disengage.

2001 LS430 Trunk actuator-activating trunk by key remote switch results in audible "beep" but trunk latch does not engage/disengage.

Does the trunk unlatch if you pull the trunk lever from inside the cabin(make sure the lock is not pressed in)?

Does the trunk unlatch if you pull the trunk lever from inside the cabin(make sure the lock is not pressed in)?

The trunk lever has no effect. The valet lock is not engaged. I have pressed it in and unlocked it more than once to help rule out the lock as a possible cause

The valet lock will not prevent the trunk release from the key press anyway. Just wanted to make sure the lock was not pressed in to foil the test.

Next thing I would try: Release the trunk manually with the key via the upper left (kinda hidden) lock cylinder in the trunk lid. Then gently close the trunk lid. Listening carefully, do you hear the actuator motor running or attempt to run? At this point, it is looking like the "trip" signal is ok but that either the release actuator is bad, stuck or no power. I suppose there is fuse somewhere.

The valet lock will not prevent the trunk release from the key press anyway. Just wanted to make sure the lock was not pressed in to foil the test.

Next thing I would try: Release the trunk manually with the key via the upper left (kinda hidden) lock cylinder in the trunk lid. Then gently close the trunk lid. Listening carefully, do you hear the actuator motor running or attempt to run? At this point, it is looking like the "trip" signal is ok but that either the release actuator is bad, stuck or no power. I suppose there is fuse somewhere.

The actuator motor does not make a sound. That's one of the first things that tipped me off about the problem. Where is the actuator located? Also, I found no reference to a fuse for the trunk motor anywhere in the owner's manual.

I did a little checking on mine and found that the trunk actuator is on the "fuel opn" fuse in the trunk. There is a fuse panel located on the drivers side inside the trunk. Apparently this fuse is used both for the fuel door and the trunk actuator. You dont actually have to go looking for it. Just pull your fuel door switch and if the fuel door pops open, the fuse is good. But just for reference, here is the fuse (you have to pull up the carpet and a couple of access covers). And another pic showing the motor actuator. You can easily see it by slightly pulling down the cover just right of the trunk latch assembly. If the fuse checks out, I believe your next step will be access this area. Try the fuel door and let us know.

post-41820-127630251188_thumb.jpg

post-41820-12763027354_thumb.jpg

Yes, I did try the fuel door release early on, and twelve volts is being delivered to the actuator so it looks like the actuator itself is bad. The local Lexus dealer will be more than happy to sell me a new one for the low, low price of $699.99. Unless I find one for much less, I'll probably use the key to open. any ideas for a replacement part will be appreciated. By the way, your last post with the photos was very helpful. Went right to the fuse box and trunk latch assembly. Thanks.

Yes, I did try the fuel door release early on, and twelve volts is being delivered to the actuator so it looks like the actuator itself is bad. The local Lexus dealer will be more than happy to sell me a new one for the low, low price of $699.99. Unless I find one for much less, I'll probably use the key to open. any ideas for a replacement part will be appreciated. By the way, your last post with the photos was very helpful. Went right to the fuse box and trunk latch assembly. Thanks.

If it were mine, I would take the actuator out and do a more detailed examination. Perhaps something is jamming the motor. And if it turns out to be the motor itself, I would try to fix it. Even small motors can be rebuilt.

$700 for that? Must be something else in the air. I have found that for parts like that, those used in Toyotas are often the exact same and there is many of them in junkyards. Sure worth a look for 700 smack-er-roos.