Door Actuator

Muddywaters

Remote will open all doors on 2004 LS 430, except the driver's door. Suspect the actuator may be the problem? What do you say? If so, where can I get the part at a reasonable price. One source wanted to charge me $1,000 just for the part. Labor an additional cost.

Remote will open all doors on 2004 LS 430, except the driver's door. Suspect the actuator may be the problem? What do you say? If so, where can I get the part at a reasonable price. One source wanted to charge me $1,000 just for the part. Labor an additional cost.

If you are unable to find one in a salvage yard (and I doubt it) try to find an online dealer with one... it is the actuator, and it is part of the latch assembly(according to dealers).

I have read of some who have used "motors from ebay" to make theirs functional, at low cost, but I never understood how they did it.

post-5365-127591270102_thumb.jpg

post-5365-127591272491_thumb.jpg

Does lock work when you press switch on door? Just want to make sure it is motor (actuator) before you drop down the cash.

Also I'd open up door and take a couple measurements before I bought an expensive part. While it is quite possible the motor is the problem there are some cheaper scenarios you want to rule out first:

1) Broken wire in hinge of door. Caused by constant flexing of wire bundle each time you open door. Driver side is the most used door so seems a little suspicious.

2) Sticky actuator mechanism. Lubrication dried up or compromised with grit meaning motor not strong enough to move mechanism. Maybe some clean up and relube would get it going again. I am not familiar with the door ecu electronics but I suspect there is an over current protection circuit which might explain why motor isn't strong enough to move latch. Disconnect motor from latch and see if it can move when no mechanical load on it.

I'd rule out these two before spending money on parts. You have to tear the door open to replace it anyway. I’d do these simple test to confirm a failed motor and maybe get lucky with something a lot $$$ cheaper...

Does lock work when you press switch on door? Just want to make sure it is motor (actuator) before you drop down the cash.

Also I'd open up door and take a couple measurements before I bought an expensive part. While it is quite possible the motor is the problem there are some cheaper scenarios you want to rule out first:

1) Broken wire in hinge of door. Caused by constant flexing of wire bundle each time you open door. Driver side is the most used door so seems a little suspicious.

2) Sticky actuator mechanism. Lubrication dried up or compromised with grit meaning motor not strong enough to move mechanism. Maybe some clean up and relube would get it going again. I am not familiar with the door ecu electronics but I suspect there is an over current protection circuit which might explain why motor isn't strong enough to move latch. Disconnect motor from latch and see if it can move when no mechanical load on it.

I'd rule out these two before spending money on parts. You have to tear the door open to replace it anyway. I’d do these simple test to confirm a failed motor and maybe get lucky with something a lot $$$ cheaper...

I agree, exhaust all possibilities before spending the big $$$.

I have read of some who have used "motors from ebay" to make theirs functional, at low cost, but I never understood how they did it.

An aftermarket door lock motor can be fitted to most any car, it comes with it's own rod that clips to the existing door lock rod in the car. The issue here is I believe the LS430 uses a cable, not a rod, and therefore this route wouldn't work.