2006 Ls430 Bra

David526

Just purchased a 2006 LS430 and would like to protect the front end with a cover. I've not found anything on the forum about the pros and cons of installing a cover. Also, I've only found 1 company that manufactures them. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

I have had Colgan bras on both of my lexus and 3 toyotas, They really never wear out, There is a clear bra option out there. You may want to look into that option. I beleive 3M makes a popular product.

Good idea. The 1998 LS400 I traded in when I bought the 2006 LS430 had the clear bra product on both the mirrors and the front edge of the hood. Even with that the mirrors still had some chips.

David,

My view on car bras is more con than pro. If you live in a dusty area, the dust will get beneath the bra and gradually scuff (read "sand")the nice shiny finish. As a little proof when washing your beautiful Lexus, do you start at the bottom and wash up, or at the top and wash down? Then ask yourself why do you do that? It is because you don't want to pick up all the dirt and grit from the lower reaches of the car and scratch the finish! Even if you have the straps and velcro as tight as possible it will still allow some movement. Now some may say that the backing is nice and soft and will compensate for that and they are absolutely correct up until the dirt or grit becomes lodged in the pile or backing. You'll never totally get all of the dirt out. Also if left on for a very long period of time the rest of the car will fade whereas the paint beneath the bra will remain darker. I believe bras serve a purpose in protecting a car in a race or rally event and although they might look pretty cool they cause more harm in the long run than good. Just my 26 centavos worth!

Regards,

Brett

David,

My view on car bras is more con than pro. If you live in a dusty area, the dust will get beneath the bra and gradually scuff (read "sand")the nice shiny finish. As a little proof when washing your beautiful Lexus, do you start at the bottom and wash up, or at the top and wash down? Then ask yourself why do you do that? It is because you don't want to pick up all the dirt and grit from the lower reaches of the car and scratch the finish! Even if you have the straps and velcro as tight as possible it will still allow some movement. Now some may say that the backing is nice and soft and will compensate for that and they are absolutely correct up until the dirt or grit becomes lodged in the pile or backing. You'll never totally get all of the dirt out. Also if left on for a very long period of time the rest of the car will fade whereas the paint beneath the bra will remain darker. I believe bras serve a purpose in protecting a car in a race or rally event and although they might look pretty cool they cause more harm in the long run than good. Just my 26 centavos worth!

Regards,

Brett

Yeah, I have to agree with Brett. Although bras can look cool, I found out the hard way that they are a pain to maintain. I ordered one for a Mitsubishi Eclipse that I once had and soon found out that if it rains, you are supposed to remove the bra, clean it and let it dry out before reinstalling. In fact, the manufacturer warned against letting the bra on the car for long periods(more than a few days). If you drive in rain or wash the car, moisture gets trapped between the bra and paint and over time can damage the finish unless you remove. So, a bra has its place for day and highway trips to keep the bugs off but they just, in my opinion, are not worth the finish risk or hassle.

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the advice! Good points and I've not purchased a bra for the car. But I'm planning a 2000 mile trip and I'm again considering one just to have it on during the long drives on the highway. It's a 9 day trip so it wouldn't be on all that long. There's just no easy solution to preventing rock chips during travel.