Replaced Trans Mount...

Picazo

Hi guys,

I replaced my 97 LS's transmission mount with a new one bought from partstrain.com. I had a little shaking before I did this and the shaking is somewhat gone, the old mount was completly separated so I guess it was a good idea to replace. The problem now is that the car still lurches upon going into drive or reverse and i though that could be cured after the tranny mount replacemnt but it didn't. The vehicle has 158k and have all maintnance records from Lexus but not seeing motor mounts replaced. Would the lurching be cured with replcing motor mounts or is this somewhat normal? Please bare with me since this is my first Lexus and planning on staying with the LExus family forever.

Thank you all in advance.

Welcome to the club :cheers:

Please explain what you mean by "lurching". You have your foot on the brake, shift into gear and the car actually moves forward/backward a bit? What are the RPM's when you shift into gear?

It's totally normal for the car to pull against the brakes and for you to "feel" that it is in gear and ready to go. But with your foot on the brake pedal, it should not move at all.

Yes when I shift into gear either D or Reverse the car actually moves forward/backward a bit. RPM in the morning is at probably 1100 and around 7 or 8 hundred during the day. So in order not to feel anything do you think I should replace my motor mounts as well?

Yes when I shift into gear either D or Reverse the car actually moves forward/backward a bit. RPM in the morning is at probably 1100 and around 7 or 8 hundred during the day. So in order not to feel anything do you think I should replace my motor mounts as well?

At this point, I am thinking you should replace your brakes. ;) With your foot firmly planted on the brake pedal surely it does not budge at all when putting it in gear. The RPM's at idle sounds about right.

Actually, I think it may be working fine. It is normal for the front end to lift or lower slightly (very slightly..depending upon forward or reverse) against the suspension as the transmission is engaged. It is more of a sensation that the car is moving. Having said that, at 158k you motor mounts could need replacing. If you take the engine to 2000-2500 RPM's while in park and feel a more pronounced shaking, then the mounts could be worn.