Expected Cost For Brakes And Rotors On An Ls 400 1999?

Badams

Greetings,

The steering wheel has started shaking when the brakes are applied so I am expecting it is time for a full brake job :-( Yes rotors have been turned before.

I would like to get an idea of the expected cost for Brakes and rotors on an LS 400 1999?

Many Thanks,

Badams

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced mine (front rotors and ceramic pads) on my 99LS a couple of weeks ago. Got mine from brake overstock (TRW brand) for $90 total. smooth as satin...

You can call them at (888) 441-8808 or e-mail at: brakeoverstock@gmail.com

good luck..

I just replaced mine (front rotors and ceramic pads) on my 99LS a couple of weeks ago. Got mine from brake overstock (TRW brand) for $90 total. smooth as satin...

You can call them at (888) 441-8808 or e-mail at: brakeoverstock@gmail.com

good luck..

wow...great price!

$90 is an excellent price!! I'm going to guess that billydpowell replaced the pads/rotors himself. Badams are you planning to do the same or are you going to have a mechanic do the install. The labor and parts upcharge will affect the price.

Micah

That assumes that the mech will install your parts. Sometimes they will not install non-OEM parts unless they buy/install. They have to warrantee it so they do not want to put their labor on the line for your part procurement.

I bought a package of 4 rotors/ceramic pads from eBay for about $200...I still have that Brake wear indicator light though, the plastic holder melted/rubbed itself into destruction.

$90 is an excellent price!! I'm going to guess that billydpowell replaced the pads/rotors himself. Badams are you planning to do the same or are you going to have a mechanic do the install. The labor and parts upcharge will affect the price.

Micah

That assumes that the mech will install your parts. Sometimes they will not install non-OEM parts unless they buy/install. They have to warrantee it so they do not want to put their labor on the line for your part procurement.

I bought a package of 4 rotors/ceramic pads from eBay for about $200...I still have that Brake wear indicator light though, the plastic holder melted/rubbed itself into destruction.

Micah

YES, I put them on... I owned a 7 stall garage for 30 years, so I do most of it, when I put the TB/WP on my 97, my nephew (who used to work for me) done the heavy work for me, and he will also do my starter on my 99LS... I am 76, so I just coast when I can.. but brakes are so simple.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

The steering wheel has started shaking when the brakes are applied so I am expecting it is time for a full brake job :-( Yes rotors have been turned before.

I would like to get an idea of the expected cost for Brakes and rotors on an LS 400 1999?

Many Thanks,

Badams

I guess this depends on several factors. I'm in SC and just had brakes put on my '01 LS430. They did not have to replace rotors, just turned them (machined because they were not damaged or they never got metal to metal). Had all 4 rotors machined and new pads for all axles for $350.00. The local dealership quoted me $1300 which included all OEM parts and new rotors. They said they don't do just pad replacement, ripoff!! Why replace them if they don't need it?

$350 is still high. You can buy quality pads at any OTC parts store for less than $90. The labor to replace them can't be more than an hour since you can do it yourself in 30 minutes and turning rotors isn't brain surgery, they can run the machine while they eat lunch.

• 10 months later...

Recent minor work included a tire rotation and, fool that I am, I didn't retorque the lug nuts myself afterward. Result: Warped front rotors. So I replaced the pads with Wagner ceramics and the rotors with Bendix. Total cost about $68. It took me approx. 2 hrs. to do the work (I'm older now and a little slower than I used to be!). Getting to the point: I would urge anyone who is so inclined to tackle this sort of job and avoid being victimized by dealers, or others. My '98 LS400 has Brembo brakes making the task even easier. You should use a torque wrench. My 1/2" clicker-type cost all of $9.99 at Harbor Freight. My new front brakes function perfectly and bring a small sense of self-satisfaction each time I apply them.

This happened to me too. I bought new tires at a Pepboys (ok that was my first mistake, never again). They just hire kids to work on tires. Little supervision. The kid used an impact gun to install wheel nuts without any torque limiter and didn't bother to use a torque wrench once off the lift. The front rotors warped within a month. I asked him why he didn't use a torque wrench and he said he had a "feel" for how hard to tighten them with an impact gun... I was in a rush so let it go. So I guess I deserved what I got for not pressing the issue at the time.

Anyway I always use a torque wrench for wheel lugs now. I go 50-70% torque first pass. Then do another pass at 100% of mfg setting. Never had a problem since.