Engine Noise

Tall Guy

I have a 2003 LS 430 with about 125K miles. Over the past 2 months the noise in the cabin seems to be significantly increased. Its just a general engine hum/whine and i don't think there are any issues with the car just wondering if there is something that used to be dampening sound or insulating sound from the cabin that could be wearing out/getting old or perhaps broke in some way? Thanks.

I'm not sure, it could be tire noise I guess, about 20,000 miles on the tires although they are my snow tires which I still need to switch out. I'd say I'm 90 percent that its engine noise rather than tires.

• 2 weeks later...

Highly unlikely to be rear wheel bearings. Get a second opinion. Rear wheel bearings normally last the life of the car (unless the owner is they type that does burnouts, corners extremely aggressively or lets the differential lube get low or contaminated with water by driving through or parking on flooded streets.

I'll stand in agreement with gg's opinion. Take the snow tires off before you decide anything. Snow tires really heat up in the summer and the were not designed for high heat roads. I'll bet those things are coming apart and that is causing the noise. When I have the snow tires on my ES330, they are quite loud. Don't let some shade tree mechanic touch your wheel bearings.