Any Advice/help On Lexus Braking Issues?

MattNC

Approximately 70 days ago, my wife, backing out of our garage in our 2008 GX470 was unable to stop the car with the break. Fearing a slow-motion accident with a retaining wall, she opened the driver's door and tried to stop the car with her foot (the other foot firmly planted on the break). After having the car 89 days and doing nothing but an inspection, we find out that Lexus says the car is fine. We have no idea what to do. We are afraid to drive the car--it's brakes failed again that same day (though she was able to use the emergency brake). We've bought 5 Lexus cars over the years--obviously will never buy another one. But we need help now. Any ideas?

Approximately 70 days ago, my wife, backing out of our garage in our 2008 GX470 was unable to stop the car with the break. Fearing a slow-motion accident with a retaining wall, she opened the driver's door and tried to stop the car with her foot (the other foot firmly planted on the break). After having the car 89 days and doing nothing but an inspection, we find out that Lexus says the car is fine. We have no idea what to do. We are afraid to drive the car--it's brakes failed again that same day (though she was able to use the emergency brake). We've bought 5 Lexus cars over the years--obviously will never buy another one. But we need help now. Any ideas?

Unless your wife plays for the NBA, I doubt she can have one foot on the brakes and the other foot on the pavement since the GX is a very tall SUV.

Did the dealer change the brake fluid or try to bleed it at all?

Hmmmm !!! Sounds fishy ph34r.gif

I wanna hear about the interaction between the retaining wall and the car. The OP said tried to stop. I believe the driver would have had a heck of a bruise on the leg. Open car door, foot planted on the ground, car moving backwards, ouch leg pinched between open door and car body.

At least the next time, she used the parking brake. Sticking a leg out of a moving car, no matter how slow is asking for trouble.

Was the car running in both cases or just shut off in gear or in neutral? The brakes might not work as well with the car turned off? Don't know about that. Calls for a road test.