1996 Gs300 Ac Problems

I have a 1996 GS300. At times my AC is working fine, blows cold air. Now and then the AC light will flash and the system blows warm air. After turning the AC off and on several times it begins to work, sometimes for a long while and other times just for a short while. I took it to a mechanic and was told the system is fine and it could be the controller. I replaced the climate control and I'm still having the same problems. I'm about to order an AC amplifier since it's not too expensive. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm having the same problem, happened after I was trying to avoid some oncoming traffic crossing the road and having to "floor it". I have the same year and same car... I think the problem is the clutch, haven't looked at mine yet, but I believe the quick rev burnt the clutch or it's just getting way too old.. might have to replace the whole compressor if not the clutch

For a vehicle that old with the A/C still working but inconsistent as you described, the first suspect is the compressor once any r134a leaks have been ruled out. If you get lucky, it may turn out to be just the compressor clutch assembly. Get a mechanic's stethoscope and listen to the compressor housing while the engine is idling with the A/C system set to maximum cool. If the compressor sounds like a cement mixer full of gravel through the stethoscope, it's on its way to the graveyard. Often a dying compressor still sounds normal until you put a stethoscope on it....

you know what, I pulled my EFI fuse about three days ago to reset computer and now *crossing my fingers* the AC problem hasn't come back, even when I rev it a bit... pull the 20 amp fuse and leave it out for about 30 seconds, and put back... see if that helps out... ghost in the machine, ha!

I kind of suspected the clutch but my mechanic said everything is fine mechanically. Looks like I'll be shopping for a clutch assembly or the entire compressor. Thanks for the response.

• 1 month later...

pull the EFI fuse, the problem still haven't came back and I still have cold AC, lol, hope that works for you before spending money

I have had this problem also. I ahve a 1995 GS300 with about 80k miles on it.

I noticed that this only would happen upon very hot days (usually over 90 degrees) and also under hard acceleration.

I am wondering if the other guys here also are having this happen under these same conditions?? Please post a reply.

Also, I tried to track this down and did everything including cleaning every ground point in the car as well. I think the answer may be the a/c compressor, although, it works fine almost all of the time when the weather is under 90's degrees. It happens sporatically, so, its really a difficult problem to trace down.

Has anyone else had this problem and noticed that the weather was an issue? Anyone else actually fix the issue? I have done everything in regards to powering down the entire system, pulled the battery during the winter...but the problem always finds it way back.

• 3 weeks later...

pull the EFI fuse, the problem still haven't came back and I still have cold AC, lol, hope that works for you before spending money

I have had this problem also. I ahve a 1995 GS300 with about 80k miles on it.

I noticed that this only would happen upon very hot days (usually over 90 degrees) and also under hard acceleration.

I am wondering if the other guys here also are having this happen under these same conditions?? Please post a reply.

Also, I tried to track this down and did everything including cleaning every ground point in the car as well. I think the answer may be the a/c compressor, although, it works fine almost all of the time when the weather is under 90's degrees. It happens sporatically, so, its really a difficult problem to trace down.

Has anyone else had this problem and noticed that the weather was an issue? Anyone else actually fix the issue? I have done everything in regards to powering down the entire system, pulled the battery during the winter...but the problem always finds it way back.

This happens because of high pressure building up in the system on extreamly hot days so the pressure release valve automatically shuts the compressor off to prevent major damage to the system, thats why the A/C light blinks. a few things could cause this, 1. the condensor is clogged from dirt and/or debris, if so some degreaser should clean it up fine. next prob could be over charge, if the system has to much refrigerant it can also cause the compressor to shut dowm, for this issue you would have to take the car to an auto a/c tech for propper recharging.