I Just Get A "click" On Start Up

This is my 99 LS.. I can hit the start key 3-4-5 times and it will start. BUT there is a weak connection somewhere and I need to find it.

IF you have had any experience with this problem, please advise..

I have changed the battery, cleaned all connections on/around the battery, but that is all.

because in my past history I would go to the starter and check the connection there.... but we all know it is burried, so... have you had any experience with this problem...... before I take it apart???

thanks in advance

Hi,

There are quite a few things that can cause the starter not to operate besides the starter motor itself.

If you are OK with vehicle wiring and the use of a digital multimeter have a look at the link below for causes and possible solutions.

http://www.lextreme.com/dx-starter.html

Sounds like classic worn solenoid contacts. Open the hood and have someone else turn the key and see if the click is coming from center-rear of engine.

If so, time for a new starter.

I agree on most likely being welded solenoid contacts. A few hundred Amps every time you kick the starter is going to burn up the contact plate eventually.

On the off chance it isn't that then I'd check ground wire at opposite end of battery. Or maybe take a jumper cable from neg terminal of battery and find a good bare metal ground on the engine block. If it suddenly starts better might point to corrupt ground wire and/or corrosion. If its the same my bet its the solenoid.

My GS400 had a slow crank problem for a while, intermittently, and it was the starter solenoid copper contacts. Easy repair once the starter is out, and no need for a new starter. Parts from Lexus were about $30.00.

Bad connections at the battery or a ground generally result in a "rat-a-tat-tat" constant clicking noise, not a single click. This because the high resistance allows just enough current to energize the relay but the voltage at the starter "falls flat" (diminishes) when the starter motor begins to pull current. The relay then cuts out which disconnects the starter motor at which time there is enough current again to energize the relay...and the whole sequence begins over.

Bad connections at the battery or a ground generally result in a "rat-a-tat-tat" constant clicking noise, not a single click. This because the high resistance allows just enough current to energize the relay but the voltage at the starter "falls flat" (diminishes) when the starter motor begins to pull current. The relay then cuts out which disconnects the starter motor at which time there is enough current again to energize the relay...and the whole sequence begins over.

YES, mine is just one click at a time, with each key turn. we (my nephew) are going to pull it out this weekend.

post-5365-127549928178_thumb.jpg

This is my 99 LS.. I can hit the start key 3-4-5 times and it will start. BUT there is a weak connection somewhere and I need to find it.

IF you have had any experience with this problem, please advise..

I have changed the battery, cleaned all connections on/around the battery, but that is all.

because in my past history I would go to the starter and check the connection there.... but we all know it is burried, so... have you had any experience with this problem...... before I take it apart???

thanks in advance

YES, mine is just one click at a time, with each key turn. we (my nephew) are going to pull it out this weekend.

Billy, check the starter relay.

Billy, check the starter relay.

Yes, that is why I asked him to verify that the "click" is coming from the starter area. The starter solenoid actually makes more than just a click. Its more like a hefty "clunk" when you are up and close to the starter. The solenoid slams those contacts together pretty hard and there is no mistaking the gentle click of a starter relay with the solenoid movement in the starter. But you have to get your ear in the engine compartment and listen carefully (and hope that it does NOT start).

Its definitely the starter. The exact same thing was happening to my Dad's 98 when he traded it for the 04. Sometimes it will work fine, and sometimes you'll have to try it 10 times before it will turn over. The cheapest quote he got to replace it was like $1,300 which he could never bring himself to do. Luckily it was starting when he traded it in.

It will gradually get worse and worse...

Its definitely the starter. The exact same thing was happening to my Dad's 98 when he traded it for the 04. Sometimes it will work fine, and sometimes you'll have to try it 10 times before it will turn over. The cheapest quote he got to replace it was like $1,300 which he could never bring himself to do. Luckily it was starting when he traded it in.

It will gradually get worse and worse...

LOL, maybe Billy bought it ;)

I'm curious, how many miles on your car? I'm two for two on starter failures at 150k miles on the two Gen 2s I've had.

it just turned over 140k.... but this thing is starting instantly.... every time, I will have to wait until it fails again, so I can check it...

I am going to replace the front rotors and pads as soon as the weather cools off... we are running 100 nearly every day and that is not good for my 76 year old body...

I got a set of TRW rotors and ceramic pads for it.. $90 bucks for everything...

cheers y'all

post-5365-127578687214_thumb.jpg

Ninety dollars for two very good looking rotors and a set of pads?!!!! That's a great price! Only way to get that price in Canada is with a gun.....

Ninety dollars for two very good looking rotors and a set of pads?!!!! That's a great price! Only way to get that price in Canada is with a gun.....

I agree, The rotors alone are easily $90.00wacko.gif Billy, Are the parts OEM ?

Well...they have guns in Texas too. :o :D

All I know is they were made by TRW, I got them at BrakeOverstock:

There are millions of dollars of surplus automotive parts inventory available in the United States. Brake Overstock specializes in the purchase of surplus name brand brake parts below wholesale prices. We pass the savings on to you with prices up to 40% lower than your local auto parts store. We only sell premium quality brake parts from reputable brand names. Our mission is to exceed your expectations, and earn your business again and again. Our team is dedicated to 5 Star performance. Have questions? Customer service representatives are available M-F from 8:30 to 6:00 pm CST.

You can call us at (888) 441-8808 or e-mail us at brakeoverstock@gmail.com

TRW is here: http://www.trwauto.com/

Had a click for several months when I tried to start my 2004 LS 430. Paid over $600.00 to replace the starter. That worked for a couple of weeks. The problem returned. I took it back to the shop, he cleaned the contacts and the clicking went away for awhile. Today, my car would not start after church. Had to leave it on the parking lot until tomorrow. Ticked off - big time!!!! Gonna have the shop towe it in and replace the starter again under warranty. Hope, I am working on the right solution? It did not work last time.