Headlight Levelling

DonsLS

Hi Guys,

I'm a newby. My present Lexus is a 2001 Ls 430. I have owned a 92 LS 400, a 95 SC 400 and will soon be moving up to a 2007 LS 460.

A while ago I started getting a "headlight levelling" message. At first it was intermitant, now it is on always.

I have a shop manual and have checked the front and rear suspension, levelling sensors. They appear to be alright.

The small motor that aims the headlights has also checked out.

When I start the car with the headlights on, the beams point down and then go up, so I'm thinking everything is OK but the message comes on.

The only thing left appears to be the headlight levelling ECU and there is a procedure in the book for checking that.

Since the ECU is up under the passenger side dash and difficult to reach, I'm looking to you guys for any tips or guidance before I do that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don

Not sure it is the sames as a 2004 ls430 but I had a similar problme and it was the height sensor on the rear axle. It was broken and sending flase readings to ECU. Search AFS and you should find a few posts on this.

Just had to replace the sensor on my wife's 2001 RX300. Its headlights were doing the same dance. You should see them go down, then up, then down slightly. They were not doing the final down. At least that was normal for the RX. The sensor looked OK from the outside, but was corroded on the inside. Works great now.

Tom

Thanks for the comments so far.

Yesterday, I attempted to take out the 2 glove compartments so I could get at the headlight levelling ECU which is somewhere under the dash rt side.

Now, I don't want to say that I'm some kind of wiz mechanic, but I have twisted a LOT of wrenches.

The glove box has me beaten, I admit it.

I will take another run at the factory manuals and try to find a way in, but in the meantime, ANY HELP would be appreciated.

While working yesterday, I got everything loosened up but could not remove it.

I got close enough to the airbag to be uncomfortable so I will disconnect the battery next time.

Thanks guys.

Don

Also, the 01 LS did not have AFS. AFS was only available on the 04-06's. Auto-leveling is different than AFS.

The 01-03 LS's will have a different setup...