Sc430 Navigation System

tonykooch1

Hi all,

I'm a recent sc430 purchaser (2 weeks) and I am new to this club.

This may sound stupid, but how do you eject the gps disc from the trunk navigation unit. I checked to see which version I have, (ver 2.1), but I can't seem to remove the disc, unless

there is no disc in the unit. I set the switch to open, but nothing came out. My sc is a 2003 and generation 2/3. I'm assuming the disc is not in the unit, if it doesn't eject when the open switch is selected. Can anyone help me with this.

Hi all,

This may sound stupid, but how do you eject the gps disc from the trunk navigation unit. I checked to see which version I have, (ver 2.1), but I can't seem to remove the disc, unless

there is no disc in the unit. I set the switch to open, but nothing came out. My sc is a 2003 and generation 2/3. I'm assuming the disc is not in the unit, if it doesn't eject when the open switch is selected. Can anyone help me with this.

With the top up (so the trunk is clear) raise the trunk lid.

You should see the navigation device about half way back on the right side of the trunk. Remove the plastic cover by gently prying it off from the top. This will reveal the dvd player. On the left side of the slot you'll see a small sliding cover over the eject button. Slide it to the right and press the button to eject the dvd. You just slide the new dvd into the slot and it will self-load. Be sure to slide the cover back to the left or the disk won't read. Replace the plastic cover after the disk loads. You have to have the ignition key in the ACC position for this to work.

iom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

With the top up (so the trunk is clear) raise the trunk lid.

You should see the navigation device about half way back on the right side of the trunk. Remove the plastic cover by gently prying it off from the top. This will reveal the dvd player. On the left side of the slot you'll see a small sliding cover over the eject button. Slide it to the right and press the button to eject the dvd. You just slide the new dvd into the slot and it will self-load. Be sure to slide the cover back to the left or the disk won't read. Replace the plastic cover after the disk loads. You have to have the ignition key in the ACC position for this to work.

iom

• 10 months later...

Hi All, I have this same issue, coincidentally with an SC430 2003 that I just bought. The NAVIGATION system did not come with a disk, but the dealer found one and installed it. It is ver. 02.1 with maps of North America. However some streets that exist now do not show on the maps. So I want an upgrade, hopfully to the latest of whatever version will work. I see many disk (aka DVD) upgrade versions for sale... the newest ones labeled Generation 5 with an added designation Nav U30 or U32 or U33 that supposedly came installed in the 2007-2008 new SC430's. I have heard a rumor that maybe the newer upgrade disks will not work in the navigation unit of a 2003 SC430, but I have not been able to confirm this nor find a way around it. Any disk newer than the version I have now would likely be an improvement, but I would like to find one at least as new as 2005... that would be version Nav U20 or U21, I think. I also have yet to figure out how to eject or load any disk, altho I am told the dealer can do this and usually does it no charge (especially if one pays retail for the disk... $200?). Anyway, if anyone can help me understand how to upgrade the maps in my situation, please post or email me directly. Thanks, Cal Jones zzzzjones@hotmail.com

Hi all,

Hi zzjones, I have a 2003 SC430 as well with version 2.1 nav disk. Our year has a "Generation 2/3" model of the dvd/navigation player. I am pretty sure generation 4 or 5 will not work in our model year. When looking for an updated disc, make sure it is a generation 2/3 disc. You will see alot of used disks on Ebay or possibly Sewell Lexus in Texas usually sells the older version of nav disks for alot less then the newest 10.1 version. http://lexus.sewellparts.com/closeout.html

I have never ejected my disk yet, but thankfully it is easy to get to in the trunk. If you find an updated disk, it is just like installing software on a computer, eject the old disc and input the new one and the system installs the new software.

Thanks Mark, I just phoned Sewell and the parts man Dan sounded knowledgeable... immediatedly explained a 2003 SC430 requires a Gen 2/3 disk, but he also added that a version 10.1 is available (dated Oct 2010) and it will work. His price is $200, but he also quickly added that if bought on-line, on the website, it will be cheaper. I am now trying to find out if it is available on the website. So far, all I see on the website is Gen 5 disks... a lot cheaper @ $92. By the way, my dealer quoted me $300. I am curious if I can find a complete Gen 5 Nav system in the junk yard... dealer also told me a new Gen 2/3 Nav system is $5K, but a new Gen 5 Nav system is $12K (but they will throw in the latest DVD too and they will also install it).

Hi zzjones, I have a 2003 SC430 as well with version 2.1 nav disk. Our year has a "Generation 2/3" model of the dvd/navigation player. I am pretty sure generation 4 or 5 will not work in our model year. When looking for an updated disc, make sure it is a generation 2/3 disc. You will see alot of used disks on Ebay or possibly Sewell Lexus in Texas usually sells the older version of nav disks for alot less then the newest 10.1 version. http://lexus.sewellparts.com/closeout.html

I have never ejected my disk yet, but thankfully it is easy to get to in the trunk. If you find an updated disk, it is just like installing software on a computer, eject the old disc and input the new one and the system installs the new software.

You can find the used gen 4 or 5 systems on Ebay sometimes, but they are going for $500 and up. Others who changed from generation 2/3 systems, compared the gen 4 and 5 systems and have expressed that upgrading to a gen 5 system was not worth it for our year of SC430. There are those who have upgraded from a 2/3 system to a 4 system and have stated it was worth it. Those who still have the gen 2/3 systems really don't see that much of an improvement in software options between version 8 to version 10 either. I just purchased today software version 6.1 for my generation 2/3 system for $50.00 on Ebay. I am currently using version 2.1 which is the original nav disc from 2003, can't wait to get version 6.1 loaded.

For $12K they better throw in ALOT more than the offer to give you version 10.1 and to install it... from what I have read, installing it is very simple.

I am going to send you a pm with some more information.

Thanks Mark, I just phoned Sewell and the parts man Dan sounded knowledgeable... immediatedly explained a 2003 SC430 requires a Gen 2/3 disk, but he also added that a version 10.1 is available (dated Oct 2010) and it will work. His price is $200, but he also quickly added that if bought on-line, on the website, it will be cheaper. I am now trying to find out if it is available on the website. So far, all I see on the website is Gen 5 disks... a lot cheaper @ $92. By the way, my dealer quoted me $300. I am curious if I can find a complete Gen 5 Nav system in the junk yard... dealer also told me a new Gen 2/3 Nav system is $5K, but a new Gen 5 Nav system is $12K (but they will throw in the latest DVD too and they will also install it).

• 1 year later...

I have an '02 sc430 and recently got an message of my GPS upon start up. It says "Program disk is inserted" and never leaves! I had Lexus dealership try a different updated disk, and that didn't work.

Any thoughts?

I have an '02 sc430 and recently got an message of my GPS upon start up. It says "Program disk is inserted" and never leaves! I had Lexus dealership try a different updated disk, and that didn't work.

Any thoughts?

The Lexus dealer didn't diagnose the problem?

• 3 months later...

Hi all I'm also having a problem with my 02 sc430. The navi would work for a few seconds and the stop and say unable to read DVD disc. I take it out and there is no scratches on the disc at all. I still gave it a quick wipe and nothing. Keeps doing the same thing.

So I recently updated my software on my 2002 Gen2/3 from v2.1 to v7.1 and then to v10.1. Generation can be considered synonymous to model. So different cars have different models of DVD players. After lots of research I learned quite a bit about these systems. Specifically when you put in a newer version DVD, the player actually updates it's firmware. This is indicated by a screen that loads on the initial startup once a new disc is inserted that says "Updating." So once you use a newer disc the firmware is upgraded and now it won't recognize old version discs unless they were written using same firmware version. There is a way to restore the DVD to original firmware, but I didn't have the problem and therefore didn't follow up on this procedure.

It is also important to make sure you're using the proper disc with the proper version of DVD player. For example, this Lexus website has the part number (which appears on every CD), for the most current software, http://lexusnavigation.com/what_to_order.php. If you are able to locate a CD, I would do a search of the PTR number to make sure it is compatible with your DVD player generation (I used Ebay for the most part). Although the version may be an upgrade, the part number may indicate that the CD is not made for your DVD Generation and therefore you would have a compatibility issue. Hope this info helps.

Also, as a sidenote, I found this while doing my research for updating the software... some people might find it more useful than installing true hardware for an override. In my personal situation, I only use the NAV on long travels, and allowing my passenger to type in address while in motion could be helpful, so I didn't see the need to install hardware or switches to do it. This plan of attack makes more sense for me to use occasionally and when needed. Should work on all Gen2/3 players running all versions, and on other Generations running older version software. http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Lexus-Navigation-Motion-Lock

For what it's worth there are several threads on the forum regarding upgrading the Gen 2/3 with a Gen 4 unit. It is something you might want to consider if your 2/3 unit has failed. I did this approximately 45 minute direct plug and play upgrade as the first improvement to my car last month, even though the 2/3 unit still works perfectly well with the base 4.2 software that was never updated.

• 10 months later...

Would someone with actual positive experience help me understand which VERSION of the ⅔ Navi Disk upgrade/update disk is the latest version that will work properly in my 2002/2003 Lexus SC 430 and where I can purchase one at a reasonably low price online? I have read the previous posts on this subject but am having some difficulty find a straight-forward answer to this question. I am a newbie on this board and am a little challenged in interpreting posts, so please be patient with my need for clarity. Thanks in advance.

check out the lexus map selection... we have a Gen3 or Gen6 (2010) player. So now you have to find a Gen3 or Gen10 upgrade disc that has a version newer than yours. Version 12 is the newest for the SC430. Good luck

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/resources/navigationmaps.do

• 6 years later...

Two questions

1. What version of nav disk is required for 2002 lexus sc 430

2. Currently only icons on right portion ov nav screen work but icons on left side of nav screen are not activated when pressed. Any suggestions

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Larry DeL said:

Two questions

1. What version of nav disk is required for 2002 lexus sc 430

2. Currently only icons on right portion ov nav screen work but icons on left side of nav screen are not activated when pressed. Any suggestions

Thanks

The last update for the gen 2/3 navigation system used in your 2002 SC was issued in 2013.

There were two different part numbers for the map DVD's - east or west of the Mississippi River.  I think either works nationwide but the ones for east or west have more POI's and map detail for those areas.

PT219-GN23E-13

PT219-GN23W-13

Your touch screen may be defective - wouldn't be surprising after 18 years.  There are probably still businesses that repair them or you could try it yourself if some of the repair videos on YouTube are relevant .... takes a steady hand and some electronic knowledge.

If you are going to keep your SC a while, installing a modern navigation unit and audio system might be practical and reasonably inexpensive.  Some have CarPlay and Android Auto.  Not that I'm recommending Crutchfield but here's a link showing some of the units they say will work in your SC:  https://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/In-dash-GPS-Navigation.html?tp=20212

I had a Kenwood screen based head unit installed in the 2000 LS400 I used to have in 2012.  It made the car seem more modern and pleasant during the final two years I owned the car.