98 Es300 50K Miles Cel - Autozone Can't Read Ecu

Wife's mint 98 ES300 with 50K and the CEL comes on yesterday. Car has been meticulously maintained by Lexus (previous owner up to 45K). I went to AutoZone today and thier code readers won't communicate with the ECU. Any idea what is up with this? I really don't want to visit a Lexus dealer if I can figure it out and fix it myself.

Thoughts? They tried several of their code readers too.

Thanks,

Tony

Wife's mint 98 ES300 with 50K and the CEL comes on yesterday. Car has been meticulously maintained by Lexus (previous owner up to 45K). I went to AutoZone today and thier code readers won't communicate with the ECU. Any idea what is up with this? I really don't want to visit a Lexus dealer if I can figure it out and fix it myself.

Thanks,

Tony

Have you tried another store/chain? That would be my first step. I definitely wouldn't take it to Lexus for a CEL.

Thanks,

Tony

Have you tried another store/chain? That would be my first step. I definitely wouldn't take it to Lexus for a CEL.

I 98 is a simple OBD II..Any reader will read it. I would but a reader since they will save you money in the end.

Where do I buy a reader?

I took my wife's 1996 Lexus ES300 to the dealer for CEL the other day.

They charged me $130 for labor and $203 for an oxygen sensor.

I am sure I could have it done for a lot less if I had known how to do it.

So, I am thinking of buying a reader.

local shops have them for sale. Up here canadian tire carries like 4 different types. im sure down there most shops will have them too.

http://www.canadiant...r.jsp?locale=en

walmart in canada has them too, so down south must stock them also.

http://walmart.ca/de...categoryId=1864

generally they all do cost about 150-250 bucks though. so that part wasnt "really" a scam lol. they are a bit pricey.

Where do I buy a reader?

I took my wife's 1996 Lexus ES300 to the dealer for CEL the other day.

They charged me $130 for labor and $203 for an oxygen sensor.

I am sure I could have it done for a lot less if I had known how to do it.

So, I am thinking of buying a reader.

The scanners are available on Amazon starting at $29. For as often as you might need it, you can get away with having the codes read at Autozone or Advance, or whatever parts store is prevalent in your area. The next thing to do is buy a Hayes or Chilton manual for your car. That will tell you what the codes mean and what to do about them. That $17 book has saved me thousands. The sensor is ~$120 at Autozone, and it's pretty easy to change.