Belt Tension Ring

Yes you can drive it if it's not too far to the shop. Keeping in mind that you won't have any power steering and your brakes won't work nearly as good as normal, and your water pump will not be circulating any coolant.

Yes you can drive it if it's not too far to the shop. Keeping in mind that you won't have any power steering and your brakes won't work nearly as good as normal, and your water pump will not be circulating any coolant.

There won't be a problem with the water pump as this is driven off the cam belt not the serpentine belt,brakes will not be affected as these are powered from the brake booster not connected to the serpentine belt,you will have no power steering,no battery charging or air conditioning with the belt off.

There won't be a problem with the water pump as this is driven off the cam belt not the serpentine belt,brakes will not be affected as these are powered from the brake booster not connected to the serpentine belt,you will have no power steering,no battery charging or air conditioning with the belt off.

The serpentine belt is still on...I never got a chance to get it off...I guess my concern is the tension pulley coming off when the engine is running since the ring broke off and/or the belt coming off...My mechanic is less than a five minute drive but i don't want to pay extra money for a tow fee since he is so close...any suggestions....?

I was trying to replace my serpentine belt and broke the screw off in the tension pulley. The tension ring also came off...Just wondering if I can drive it to my mechanic without messing up the end the engine and etc....?

It's presumptuous of me to interject here but do you by chance have towing service with a cell phone? If so, a free tow is at hand, just call and they will arrange and pay for towing, in the case of Verizon, it's a no charge tow within your distance of a shop. I've had two tows during one "won't start" event at no cost.

Completely remove the serpentine belt and then drive it carefully to the shop, if you leave the belt on it may come off and snag in the bottom pulley which in turn could damage the timing belt,broken timing belt= broken engine!

As mentioned before you will have no power steering so be ready for effort on turns, the charging light will be on and don't switch on the aircon.

I just want to say thanks for all the replies...but let me say again, the belt is still in the tension pulley, the tension belt ring broke off and the screw broke off into the tension belt pulley...if I drive the car will the belt and/or tension belt pulley come off??? Thanks for your replies and enjoy your holiday weekend....

Did you not read the reply above? You can remove the belt and drive it a VERY short distance. If you can't get the belt off due the tensioner being damaged, cut it. Drive slowly, gently, and carefully to where you need to go. Don't use any electrical accessories like radio, fan, windows, anything as you'll quickly drain the battery down.

Did a little research and if I'm correct, that bolt comes complete with the belt tensioner accessory...I'm going to order that part from Rock Auto and have the part put on. If anyone got some suggestions for a different route, let me know...thanks for all your replies....