Valentine 1

Reed Hunt

I have a hard-wired setup in my other car and wanted to do the same in my LX (to avoid having to mess with a power cord running up from the dash lighter).

Placement needs to be at the top middle of the windshield, and I know there is power in the area.

Any tips?

Thx.

Rather than trying to tap into something existing, why not just add a second fuse block and run power from it?

I did this when I wanted 12-volt power in the rear cargo area of my LX 450. I ran 8 guage wire from the battery, through the passenger side firewall and along the floorboard to the rear. I connected this to a small fuse block -- with capacity for 6 fuses. From there, I ran power to the 12-volt outlets that I installed. It was very easy to do.

I'm planning on adding another fuse block under the hood to power my GPS. I've seen people add them under the passenger seat, but I want something that's easier to reach.

Let me know if you'd like pics -- I can snap a few digitals.

Doug

That being the case then -- I suppose you could tap into the power leading to the map light and moon/sun roof. Don't know if it would be too much draw if you're using everything at the same time -- the radar detector, moon roof and map light -- but it would allow for an install w/o running wires.

Not the way I would do it, but it should work.

Doug

You can purchase an inexpensive volt tester, the one with a sharp point on one end and a ground wire attached to an alligator clip and “light” on the other end.

If you take the lens cover off the map light you will be able to access the screws to take the cover off the moon-roof wiring cover. Turn the ignition so the accessories are on and start testing wires. When you find a “hot” wire, turn the ignition off and see if you lost power e.i. the test light went off. This way you won’t drain the battery when V1 is installed.

Then just skin that wire, I just skinned one side of it and tightly twisted the other wire to it with a little black tape to cover up the splice. Then ground your neutral wire to any other neutral or clean metal. You can use a small piece of rigid wire and fish the wire through the area where the rearview mirror is mounted. I ran the wire along the mirror and wire tied it with a small plastic wire tie.

Don't panic if the moonroof starts to open when you are testing for a hot wire. This happend to me on several diferent wires. I wish I could remeber which color I spliced so I could share the info, but its been a couple of years.

I think the Doug’s extra fuse block scenario is an excellent idea, but for this application, the location, and minimal amount of voltage, I would tie into any possible power source in the area.

dakrri