Rear View Mirror Fade

Mike in San Diego

I have a four year old GS300 that has about 25% of the reflective quality of the rear view mirror gone. I suspect it will be completely unusable in a year or two. Considering the price I paid for that car and the fact that it was advertized to me as a high end quality car, I am shocked that Lexus refuses to correct it. They offered partial payment but considering the mirror costs $1,800, partial payment is $400 which is outragous! The car is garaged, and otherwise in mint condition. Never been serviced by anyone but lexus (well until now, anyway).

Has anyone else encountered this disolving mirror on their lexus?

I have honestly never heard of such a thing...

Can you post a picture of the mirror? I wonder if its a Gentex mirror...

Keep on Lexus...I bet you can get them to cover it...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am having the same issue with my 2006 GS300 which is in excellent condition otherwise. As a collector of antique furniture what it looks like on mine is that the silver backing is showing through which is marking up the mirror. I know with antique mirrors this is an issue, but didn't think silver backing was used on rearview car mirrors??

Strange. This is a new issue to my knowledge. I've been researching online, and haven't found many solutions. But the GS300 is quality Lexus. I agree with SW03ES to stay on Lexus, because it sounds like nothing you could have prevented. Talk to your Lexus dealership. At the very least they can point you in the direction of new or used Lexus parts.

An inexpensive option is to go to any glass & mirror shop and get them to cut a new one for you using your old mirror as a template. If you choose regular ol' mirror glass, nothing fancy, the cost should be no more than $50 or so (depending on where you live). The passenger side mirror in my wife's 2004 RX330 is gradually discoloring now (turning gold), but is still viable. When it finally turns too dark to use, I'll have it replaced by a local shop whom I've already spoken with. Their quote was $45 to cut the new mirror glass to size, remove the faded factory mirror glass, and install the new mirror glass on the frame. Not a bad deal at all....

Our local Lexus dealership charges nearly $300 for a new mirror glass but offered to sell it to me for $200. I declined, and I'll have it fixed by the local glass & mirror company when my wife starts raising hell about not being able to see out of it....

• 8 months later...

I am having the same problem with the mirror having faded away. This is a safety issue and I am shocked that Lexus will only replace at their cost if it is still under warranty. This is obviously a defective issue of a Lexus product and we are not all isolated cases. You would think Lexus would stand behind their product, do thing right thing and do a recall on the rear view mirror. There is no reason the owner should be responsible for a mirror that simply doesn't last - it has nothing to do with usage/mileage.

post-140925-0-71269900-1337867519_thumb.

Lexus told you they would only replace it at their cost and it's still under warranty? That doesn't make any sense...I can see that if it was out of warranty, but it should be fully covered under warranty.

• 8 months later...

About 4+ years of having my 2006 GS 300, lines just appeared across my rear view mirror. It came from underneath. It's looking foggy/faded since then and there are even spots all over the mirror now. Car is garaged and in a moderate temperate environment. It is also very seldom driven. Is this normal wear and tear? really? And of course it's out of warranty. Parking assistance on my side mirrors also stopped working last year. Just so many bad experiences ever since I owned this car.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. I noticed this last year but may have been going for longer because like someone else said, we first thought the mirror is dirty. Talked to Lexus, they are offering 50% off the part only. (so about $600?) I am wondering if anyone else has gotton better than this from Lexus. I don't think that we should be paying even a $1 to replace a rear view mirror ever unless it is destroyed by extreme conditions such as water damage or accident. I have had cars for over 15 years and never seen anything like this. The guy at the dealer told me "at what point do you think this should be considered normal wear and tear?". I don't see why there should be any "wear or tear" with the non moving parts. It speaks about quality and so far I am not impressed by my Lexus. Have had other issues as well.

If anyone has been successful at getting Lexus to pay pay for this, please let me know...

• 4 months later...

My ES330 developed a problem with the driver's side, outside rear view mirror years ago. When it gets cold, sometimes 1/3 to 1/2 of the mirror turns dark. Of course I drove the car in Boston most of the time and they aren't used there much anyway.

• 1 month later...