03 Ls 430 Excessive Brake Wear

johnsls

I seem to be replacing my brakes every 20 - 25k miles. I am not driving any different than I have all my life and I have never had to replace the brakes anywhere near as often. The dealer says that part of the problem is the design of the sensor which basically means the brakes need to be replaced before the sensor can go off otherwise it adds $100 to the job. Even so there must be an additional design flaw - any others with this problem. I don't normally quibble over repairs but as much as I like the car such maintenance frequency is unacceptable.

Why don't you wait until the sensor goes off - just once - and see how long the brake pads really last? Your 03 LS430 has essentially the same brake system as my 00 LS400. My front brakes were replaced for the first time at over 71,000 miles when the sensor triggered the warning message in the trip computer and my rear brake pads were replaced for the first time during the 120,000 mile service although the pads could have gone longer ... maybe 5,000 to 10,000 miles longer on the lowest pad.

As I have said MANY times on this forum, premature brake pad replacement is the #1 dealer/repair shop abuse for generating work and padding profits.

Why don't you wait until the sensor goes off - just once - and see how long the brake pads really last? Your 03 LS430 has essentially the same brake system as my 00 LS400. My front brakes were replaced for the first time at over 71,000 miles when the sensor triggered the warning message in the trip computer and my rear brake pads were replaced for the first time during the 120,000 mile service although the pads could have gone longer ... maybe 5,000 to 10,000 miles longer on the lowest pad.

As I have said MANY times on this forum, premature brake pad replacement is the #1 dealer/repair shop abuse for generating work and padding profits.

Or else remove the sensor from the pad and use a wire tie it to secure it out of the way. People lived just fine prior to electric brake pad sensors. It always stuck me as a pointless application of technology.

I just did the rear pads on a Mercedes 500SL. Last year I replaced the fronts. In both cases the warning sensor was on. And in both cases the sensor triggered with about 10k worth of pad material remaining. Nonetheless the customer wanted the pads replaced. I used aftermarket German pads, harder than stock, good bite and feel. The sensors were re-used on the rear, new on the front. $8.00 each sensor aftermarket price.

The sensor on that car ( don't know about the LS430) is positioned to trigger long before the pads are actually worn out. No doubt the Lexus is the same.

Inspect the brakes and ignore the sensor. Replace when close ( like 1/16 inch )