Smaller Tires.

jschunke

My opinion is that 225/60's are preferable and I hope the tire center will make things right. I experimented a lot in the early 90's with tire sizes on my first LS which came with only 205/65 tires. Wider 225/60's provided dramically improved braking and made the car feel more stable at speed. I would think that using 215/60's would compromise braking and handling since there would be a smaller contact patch on the road. The smaller contact patch provided by narrower tires is generally an advantage only in the snow.

Check your owners manual for the correct tire size but I'm positive it's 225/60/16 (V rated) for a '93 LS400. If the tire shop screwed up and put 215/60/15 they would be liable for any misfortune you might encounter (accident), a big time liability issue. As someone else said other then used for snow tires the smaller tire is not desirable and your LS400 would not handle and brake as well as the mfg recommended size tire for that year and model. Do a search for tires and see what other LS400 owners have chosen for tires and buy the best you can afford, this is one item I wouldn't skimp on. Four Door.

I would go back and get it fixed.

Odometer/Speedometer will be incorrect

Wider tires = better handling/braking

Bigger outer diameter and width helps to fill out the wheel well better in all directions.

Loss of sidewall = less comfort and that is a selling point of the LS.

Albeit some of these changes are relatively small but why compromise at all when it is the mistake of the tire shop.

Early cars had 205/65-15 tires. I have used 214/60-15 and 215/65-15 on my 92 with no problems.

Starting in 93 the wheels became 16 inch. So the 225/60-16 was stock. Your tires are marginally narrower, and have a bit less sidewall height, about 10mm and 6mm overall (3mm on the radius). That will make almost no difference.

That being said, the tire shop should have installed the stock size, or at least discussed this with you. As apparently they did not, go back and get what you want. (If they offerred me a screaming deal rebate so as not to take back used tires I would jump at it though).

I don't think the Speedo/Tac would be affected by a slightly smaller tire. Rim size would affect it.

I have to agree with the others. Ask the tire place to install 225/60/16 on your stock rims.

if the 215's are snow tires then it is perfect to be narrower

the speedo would never know the difference it is so small in rolling diameter you would never be able to tell

the 60 refers to a percent of the overall width

so 60% of 225 is 135mm

while

60% of 215 is 129mm

hardly a difference ,but one none the less.

I would go back and get it fixed.

Odometer/Speedometer will be incorrect

Wider tires = better handling/braking

Bigger outer diameter and width helps to fill out the wheel well better in all directions.

Loss of sidewall = less comfort and that is a selling point of the LS.

Albeit some of these changes are relatively small but why compromise at all when it is the mistake of the tire shop.

how is there loss of sidewall??? the profile is the same ratio, 60.

i also disagree that speedo would be off, tire width has no affect on that.

i dont think a 10mm width difference is dangerously critical, especially as far as braking. it's even possible that a better tread pattern/compound on one tire would make up the handling difference over a wider tire.

the only thing you've gained with narrower tires is that they cost less and you'll have improved mileage due to less rolling resistance. take the tires back, insist they put the correct tires on for the price you've already paid, just be persistent but not confrontational since it was their error ;)

I think skperformance explained the sidewall issue. Thanks. :)

As for speedo, tire width is related to sidewall which affects the outer diameter which will then affect the speedo.

I just listed some of the things that are affected by the difference in tires. I also said that the changes are small which means there may not be a big noticeable difference. Still, he did not pay for these "smaller" tires and since it was not his mistake, why compromise even slightly?

Revisiting the issue of the correct tire size I'm sure one of the major virtues of the LS400 is the ride and when Lexus upgraded the tire size to 225/60/16 in '93 they did it for a lot of good reasons. Another post has someone complaining about vibrations in his LS400. All said and done if the bushings, strutts etc are in good shape I'd be willing to bet inferior tires were mounted on his LS400. If you want to maintain the original ride and handling of your LS400 stick with OEM parts and the correct size/quality tires. Four Door.

The 215 and 225 number doesn't exactly give the tread width, it is actually the tire cross section at the widest portion. The 65 and 60 numbers are the aspect ration. A 225 60 tires mneans that the sideway height is 60% of the 225mm tires cross section. Either way, I would go back and have them put on the tires I requested.