Is350.....used Car Questions

Hello everyone, I'm looking to possibly buy a used IS350(06-07) in the next couple weeks and I had a few questions for you guys. I've been looking online at the local dealers and I'm curious if there was a way to tell if a car had the sport package just by looking at the pictures the dealers post. I currently own an Infinti G35 which I HATE and I'm wanting to find an IS with the best ride possible so that means staying away from the sport package. When looking I saw that some IS's had woodgrain interior and some had metal trim and thought that maybe Lexus is like some other manufacturers and save the metal trims for sport packages. I would really like to know this info before I drive to a dealer only to find out that the IS I came to look at has the sport package and I waste my time driving there. Also is there a website that gives a list of the options or bundled options that were available when these cars were new? Surprisingly, I haven't been able to find out all the option packages and it would be a huge benefit since I'm looking at a used one to see what all options came in that package and I can check which car has the best price according to its options. Thanks for any help you guys can give!!!

The 06/07 had an "X package" with the 18" rims and front spoiler but I don't know if a sport package with a different suspension was available back then. If you want the smoothest ride possible, without sacrificing too much handling performance, get the standard car with the 17" rims. Of course, this is almost impossible unless you either get an AWD or order the car directly from the factory. I got rid of my "mandatory option" 18s and bought a set of the factory 17s and haven't looked back. Bear in mind as the car gets older and creakier, you may not want the ride characteristics of a sport package and/or 18" rims.

In any event, have them run the VIN on their computer (any dealer, used car lot or body shop can do this) and it will tell you what options the car has.

Thanks for the help! My basic goal is to find a car without the sport package(if avail) and to test drive it just to see if I can live with the ride. If I don't like the ride then I know to stop looking at the IS. My G35 rides just like the Mustang GT I traded in for it and I hate it but I don't have any clue as what to expect on the ride of the Lexus. Handling isn't a big deal for me since its all stop and go traffic here most times. I did finally find a post on this forum where someone gave a couple of the packages that came on the car so that was a big help, although I know it wasn't all of them. I just want to be aware of everything that I can get on the car so I can figure out what I want and what I could care less about. Most websites don't list tire sizes in their ads so I have very little info to go on. I did see someone posted that there was a "luxury package" which includes things like memory seats and rain sensitive wipers....they posted that the package includes 18" rims so I naturally thought that the base ones were 17". Did switching out the 18" rims for the 17's on your car make much difference in the ride? It looks like I just need to find one as local as possible and just go drive it. Thanks again!

Yep, you just need to go drive a couple with stock suspension. 18's don't hurt the ride. The only time 17 might be ok is for snow tires. I would describe the ride as well controlled but not harsh. I think you will be pleasantly surprised compared to the other cars you mentioned.

Did switching out the 18" rims for the 17's on your car make much difference in the ride?

If you have really good (expensive!) tires, the ride with 18s can be good. However, most 18" 40 profile tires are designed for performance at the expense of ride. I was looking at a 2006 IS250 for my son recently with some cheap 40 series 18" replacement tires and the ride was awful! I switched from 18" OEM Turanzas (which are probably the smoothest riding 18s you can get) on my car to 17" OEM Dunlops and the improvement in ride comfort was noticeable.