Redlining Ls400?

kuziwk

just wondering my car has 200 000 miles (315 000km roughly) the car runs pretty good and smooth, just changed the plugs which took almost three hours(wires are next). Anyways i like how fast the car is compared to what i used to drive, how bad would it be to redline the car, (floor the pedal) and bring the RPM's to 6000 rpm's once in a while?

My 90 has about 185,000 on it and I still redline it once in awhile when I have the opportunity. I'm sure I could screw up something but, resistance is futile since I love the acceleration. I don't do it all that often since you rapidily gain speed and you don't want to get caught.

just wondering my car has 200 000 miles (315 000km roughly) the car runs pretty good and smooth, just changed the plugs which took almost three hours(wires are next). Anyways i like how fast the car is compared to what i used to drive, how bad would it be to redline the car, (floor the pedal) and bring the RPM's to 6000 rpm's once in a while?

Should not hurt anything to punch it and wind it out once in a while. The transmission will take care of shifting (I would not lock it into a specific gear).

Should not hurt anything to punch it and wind it out once in a while. The transmission will take care of shifting (I would not lock it into a specific gear).

well im worried about the tranny too, everyone says you dont feel it shift, mine does it smooth but you still feel it, maybe i need a flush?

If I pay attention, I can sense when the transmission shifts. It is a very smooth shifting transmission. Based on my readings here on the forum, the transmissions last a long, long time.

Mine doesn't shift as smoothly as the CVT transmission-outfitted cars that I've been in. CVTs don't "shift" when driven normally. But for non-CVT cars, the LS is as good as it gets in my experience. Mine's 11 years old with 113k on the odometer. I can't imagine how much smoother an LS430 or 460 would be. Wow.

As far as redlining goes, my understanding is that the engineers designed the shift points to keep damage from occurring. As stated earlier, I would not lock it in gear and run it to the fuel shutoff. The LS sounds good at full song, I have to say... But you can't listen too long without having a visit from the local state trooper(s). :whistles:

Micah