What Would You Do?

Greeting,

So I was suppose to take delivery of my new RX on Friday. The car was being shipped from out of state. I have already signed the initial paper work with a down-payment. The dealer called me up on Friday afternoon and lets me know that I cannot pick up the car until Monday due to minor problem. There was a dent on the right side door. I requested a picture of the dent, but received nothing. I feel like I am no longer purchasing a brand new car being that there is a dent that already needs to be fixed.

What you you do in this situation? Would you ask for a discount or wait for another car?

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

~Beatniq

Thats actually not true. If they order parts from a wholesaler it may wind up on a Carfax, but I have never had a minor body issue show up on a Carfax.

If its something that can be repaired with paintless dent repair I wouldn't care, but if it has to be painted and such then I would have an issue...

If they fixed it and knocked $1k off I would take the car. They would have to toss in a couple of Lexus shirts and hats too. :whistles:

Thanks for the great responses. So I just found out that they had to send the car to the body shop to be repaired and its going to take a couple more days. They still won't give me any details on the dent (how big or if they need to re-paint). Seems to me that its bigger than just a minor ding. I am going to try and head to the dealer this afternoon to get the whole story. I will keep you guys posted on the results.

Thanks for the great responses. So I just found out that they had to send the car to the body shop to be repaired and its going to take a couple more days. They still won't give me any details on the dent (how big or if they need to re-paint). Seems to me that its bigger than just a minor ding. I am going to try and head to the dealer this afternoon to get the whole story. I will keep you guys posted on the results.

If its going to take a couple days they aren't fixing it with PDR.

I would not accept the car.

I saw your post on the other Lexus forum. If they have the car for a couple of days it's more than a ding. Whether it shows up on car-fax or not is irrelevant as you have a damaged vehicle, how much are you paying? Do yourself a favor and walk now, you are only going to torment yourself with all this. Find another RX.

Thank you for the great feedback again. I went to the dealership yesterday and took a brand new car! They tried to push the one that was dented on me, but I stuck to my guns and let them know that I will not take it.

On a side note. I have been seeing problems with the iPod skipping songs when searching through the playlist. I hooked up my iPod last night to see the problem myself and it didn't skip any songs when I was searching. Tried again this morning and didn't have any problems. So I guess that's a win for community to get the problem fixed!

Thanks again and I am very happy to now be truly apart of the lexus family (Honda owner for over 10 years) :)

Greeting,

So I was suppose to take delivery of my new RX on Friday. The car was being shipped from out of state. I have already signed the initial paper work with a down-payment. The dealer called me up on Friday afternoon and lets me know that I cannot pick up the car until Monday due to minor problem. There was a dent on the right side door. I requested a picture of the dent, but received nothing. I feel like I am no longer purchasing a brand new car being that there is a dent that already needs to be fixed.

What you you do in this situation? Would you ask for a discount or wait for another car?

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

~Beatniq

I drove my car home from the dealer and when I got home I noticed a deep scratch on the drivers side...

I reported it and they took the car and repainted the entire door... A dent is more damage but if they fix it...hmmmm

I would say they should ley you see how big of a dent it is...

I think you did very well for yourself and played it just right. Enjoy your new ride it is a world apart from the Honda, not knocking them have owned them myself but they are not a Lexus. Congrats!!

Bob

• 6 years later...

Glad it worked out for you this way. All dealers from any brand will try to do whatever it takes to save or make a buck. They will try and make you believe but they are not your friend. They are not in business to sell you a trouble free quality car or give you the best deal unless you are personal friends with the owner. They are not in business to do a great repair on you vehicle and make you visits as trouble free and comfortable as possible. They are in business to make money - as much of it as they can and as fast as possible, with as little effort from them as they can. All the other stuff, lounges, tv, coffee, snacks, computers, wifi, etc. are marketing tools designed to make you want to continue to business with them, recommend them to prospective customers and increase their profits. Dealerships, with very few exceptions, in general have no loyalty to their customers. Why should you have any loyalty to them? This may sound callous but it is the truth. When was the last time a car salesperson, owner, or service manager called you, a year after purchase or later to ask how you are enjoying your car without trying to sell you something, discuss the new features of the latest vehicles? They aren't interested in you. Their interested in your money.

Byy the way. Do you still have the dealers license plate frame holder on your car? Are they compensating you in any way for advertising their dealership every time you hit the road? Did they ask permission? What you are doing by leaving that frame on your car is giving them free advertising for as long as you own the car. Have they ever even said thank-you? The very first thing I do when I get a new car home is remove that frame, get a generic good looking new one, and toss theirs into the trash. I am not interested in being a free mobile billboard for the dealership. 

• 6 months later...