92 Ls400 -- Radio And Trunk Rattling?

92ucf10

So over the past few days I've noticed that whenever I turn on my Nakamichi system, something in the trunk rattles and the signal gets choppy. The problem started one time when I had a heavy load in the trunk, but remained after the load was removed. After a couple seconds, it sounds smooth as silk, like it used to. I don't think that it's a debilitating problem, but is it something I should be concerned about now?

• 92 LS400
  • Air ride suspension
  • Nakamichi Premium Sound System and CD Changer

Does anyone have any thoughts on what it might be? Thanks.

The load probably knocked the CD changer connection/mounting bracket loose.unsure.gif

That's what I was thinking, but I can still use the CD function. If that was the case, wouldn't the sound system just refuse to pick up the CD changer? I'll check that out.

The Nakamichi amplifier is mounted underneath the CD changer, maybe remove and check it for loose plugs, debris in it, damage, etc.

I'll take a look into that, but how would I get to it? The Lexus service manual only describes standard equipment installation and removal. Have you worked on Nakamichis before?

Update: I think that this might be an issue with the power antenna, because the rattle happens only when the radio is turned on and comes from the toolbox area in the trunk, not the amplifier. Does this logic make sense, or am I taking a shot in the dark?

Check into the antenna issue, Could be loose...

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/powerantenna.html Here's where I got the idea.

I don't think that it's loose. I think that maybe it just got jammed. Since I can hear the rattle (that is, the motor is trying to extend and retract the power antenna), I don't think that the motor is broken. However, to get to it, I need to get the antenna nut off.