Best Replacement Tires For Ls460?

I need some advice for new tires for my LS460. The car came with Bridgestone Turanza EL42. They seem OK, but wear out too quickly. So, I have looked up what's available and narrowed down my choices to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I was going to get Michelins, but noticed that TireRack rates Continentals a bit better. I'd appreciate learning about anyone's practical experience with these two tires.

Many thanks!

I need some advice for new tires for my LS460. The car came with Bridgestone Turanza EL42. They seem OK, but wear out too quickly. So, I have looked up what's available and narrowed down my choices to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I was going to get Michelins, but noticed that TireRack rates Continentals a bit better. I'd appreciate learning about anyone's practical experience with these two tires.

Many thanks!

I'd recommend Dunlop sp sport maxx. I thought they came stock with those tires. I have had Dunlops and Michelin's and i prefer the Dunlops by far.

They are much smoother and quieter compared to the various Michelin Tires I had.

If you are looking for a bumpier ride go with the Michelins. I have no experience with Continental.

Thanks. I actually don't mind a bit harder ride - I drove BMWs before getting this LS460. In fact, I overinflate my LS460 tires by 2-3 psi to get a bit stiffer ride. So, that would not concern me. I also don't care about snow and ice conditions, as I live in California. But I don't want more noise than I get with my Bridgestones and poor handling.

Thanks. I actually don't mind a bit harder ride - I drove BMWs before getting this LS460. In fact, I overinflate my LS460 tires by 2-3 psi to get a bit stiffer ride. So, that would not concern me. I also don't care about snow and ice conditions, as I live in California. But I don't want more noise than I get with my Bridgestones and poor handling.

I would still recommend the Dunlop Sp Sport Maxx from what you are telling me. The handling on these are amazing. These tires are made in Germany. I have them mounted on my ls400. The tread wear is lasting really long, much quicker than my michelin mxv4 plus that i had previously.

In wet/rainy conditions you can't even tell that the road is wet. The tire handles as good or even better than in dry conditions. The braking is amazing in the rain and to me it seems like you brake slightly quicker in the rain than on dry pavement. So far i havent had the traction control turn on even though i have floored the accelerator in the rain.

As for noise and comfort these tire are super smooth and not bumpy at all which is pretty amazing. Usually the tires that handle well are stiff but this is not the case with the Dunlops.

Original Equipment on the LS460 is: Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A1 which is an all season tire.

Since you mentioned that there is no snow i would recommend: Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT (Max Performance Summer) which would run you $188 a tire vs $255 for the all season. I got the TT version and bought snow tires to switch in the winter.

A set of 4 would run you $752.00 but Dunlop has a $80 rebate until July 1st.

If you check the ratings out it is getting solid 8.5's to 9.6's.

I feel you would love these tires coming from a BMW. Braking is much improved, the handling is amazing, and the ride is not noisy.

If you want a little harder ride you can get a lower profile size which would make it more bumpy.

I had a post running below on the Hankook tires I bought sometime back. Very cheap and that's my middle name. Wonderful tires. Worked out very well with zero problems. Much,much better then the junk OEM tires the car came with. Shame on Toyota for using that junk manufacturer. I took some heat here by installing Hankook's but they turned out to be an excellent tire. CU also likes them.

The Koreans right now are the best mfg guys in the world. Best prices and quality. I also use Korean tires of a different brand on my Highlander. Terrific wear , good ride and low noise.

Did you ever get new tires lsrider? I didnt realize it but the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 M would fit your ls460. I am running them on my ls430 right now and they are great. I prefer the Sp Sport Maxx but these are all seasons which is nice.

They would run $170 a tire but Dunlop has some rebate going on now that give you back $40.

Curious as to what you ended up putting on your ls460. I may be upgrading to a ls460 soon.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever get new tires lsrider? I didnt realize it but the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 M would fit your ls460. I am running them on my ls430 right now and they are great. I prefer the Sp Sport Maxx but these are all seasons which is nice.

They would run $170 a tire but Dunlop has some rebate going on now that give you back $40.

Curious as to what you ended up putting on your ls460. I may be upgrading to a ls460 soon.

Before you consider a LS460 may I suggest an extensive test drive on a bad road to find out if you can stand a harsh ride.Something I did not do and am sorry even after owning an LS460 for 10 month now.

Before you consider a LS460 may I suggest an extensive test drive on a bad road to find out if you can stand a harsh ride.Something I did not do and am sorry even after owning an LS460 for 10 month now.

You must have really bad tires or somethings wrong with your LS460. My 2008 LS460 short wheel base is smooth as butter. Its much smoother than my 2005 ls430.

This is the favorite tire among many and the dealers, some say the gold standard for the LS

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/vehicle/2010/Lexus/LS460/Standard/pilot-mxm4/P235%7C50R18+97V/tire-details

The bridgestones on my LS460 are perfect. I am not gonna change them out. They are much better than the Michelin MXV4+ that i had on my LS400.

We will see how many miles they get on them as right now they only have 12,000 miles.

Many thanks!

I was surprised that the OE Turanza EL42s on my 2007 LS460 lasted only 15,000 miles, as I expected Lexus to select a better quality tire. They were quiet and smooth-riding, but sloppy in hard cornering (which I expected). After much research on TireRack.com, I decided to buy the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus from Costco. I've had them now for almost 5,000 miles and am very pleased. There is no apparent wear and they are extremely quiet and smooth riding, with much sharper turn-in and far better high-speed cornering than the previous Bridgestones. I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus for the LS460. This is the tire that Lexus should have used in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

You are absolutely correct regarding the harsh and bumpy ride of the LS460.

My girlfriend currently owns a LS 460 (2009)and I´m always amazed how harsh-riding that car is when driving on less than perfect road surfaces.

Mind you, it rides superbly on perfect road surfaces, but gets absolutely obnoxious on less well-maintained roads. Potholed roads are a nightmare to encounter and the LS 460 just goes bump-bump-bump over the gaps between badly maintained concrete surface blocks, an experience which never fails to annoy me greatly. This car needs smooth Japanese or German roads to really feel like the luxury limousine it is supposed to be. On the average American road surface the luxury feeling tends to evaporate fairly quickly.

I actually asked my girlfriend´s local Lexus dealer about this and he frankly admitted that quite a few of his customers have expressed their disappointment regarding the less than adequate ride quality of the LS460 compared to their old LS 400´s, which the dealer agreed has a much softer and more comfortable ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks!

i replaced mine with the michelin and am very pleased with ride and performance,so is my wife who thought bridgestones rode very hard.new tire made big difference in ride

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After putting Continental DWS tires, cornering, ride and noise got really better.

I bought the same tires and they are much better.

Steve suggested in a post above that PSI is important and it is. the ride s better at 31psi then at the 36 or 36 recommended.

the lower psi make the care ride and handle better even if the tires wear faster.

rgrds

phil

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just installed the Hankook Ventu V12's on my LS 460L. Very quiet ride-little road noise with a Y rating. Tire sizes-stagger 245/45-19 fronts; 275/40-19 rears. Stick like glue-time will tell on the mileage, however, with the low tire price, who cares?

• 8 years later...