Engine Noise Under Load

turboomni

hey guys,

I just got a 1997 LS 400 with 140000 miles on it. What a car!

My question is under moderate to high load during acceleration I hear a rythmic tic tic tic coming out of the engine. It is not detonation as it is extremely rythmic. It sounds like a stuck lifter. Sometimes it is louder and then sometimes softer. At idle and mild driving there is no sound at any speed or rpm. In neutral if I rev it there is no ticking sound either. It is running Super unleaded. Otherwise it runs very very well and it does pull hard with no signs of miss.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

hey guys,

I just got a 1997 LS 400 with 140000 miles on it. What a car!

My question is under moderate to high load during acceleration I hear a rythmic tic tic tic coming out of the engine. It is not detonation as it is extremely rythmic. It sounds like a stuck lifter. Sometimes it is louder and then sometimes softer. At idle and mild driving there is no sound at any speed or rpm. In neutral if I rev it there is no ticking sound either. It is running Super unleaded. Otherwise it runs very very well and it does pull hard with no signs of miss.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Hi,

I have a 1998 LS 400 with 113k miles and does something similar. When in D gear and acceleration under load, the tic tic tic noise happens at around 1200 RPM. I've also tried shift into 3rd gear on high way, and the engine does the same thing at around 3k to 4k RPM. I have not found to root cause yet.

Thanks.

Bit of a shot in the dark here, but it may be an exhaust leak as these cars use gaskets and flanges, rather than slip-joints and clamps. Had one blow out on my 92, and they make a tick related to throttle opening (more exhaust gases, more noise).

Doesnt' sound serious in any event.

Bit of a shot in the dark here, but it may be an exhaust leak as these cars use gaskets and flanges, rather than slip-joints and clamps. Had one blow out on my 92, and they make a tick related to throttle opening (more exhaust gases, more noise).

Doesnt' sound serious in any event.

Thanks for the reply! Other than that and the body roll on corners I love this thing.

I'm working on what to do about swaybar bushings. Daizen are not available at least to me.