Rx Purchase

Hi all,

Kinda new to the forum...I signed up 1.5 years ago, but that was for my wifes ES...I have a question...Thinking about an 06-06 RX 400h (leaning towards 07). I am not scared about the Hybrid functions (I used to own a Prius), but I want your opinion on whether or not you would buy the vehicle again and if you see the vehicle holding up for the long haul...What are the problem spots? How does the CVT transmission hold up...?

Looking for a vehicle with about 50-60K miles that I can put at least 150K on before having to rebuild replace the tranny/engine. Let me know your thoughts.

My other option is an 05-06 GX...Leaning towards the RX 400 though.

I recently created a thread in this section of the forum asking about the reliability of the CVT transmissions, and all of the responses were positive. I've researched the "design" of the transmission, and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of stress on it. I also haven't heard of a single complaint about the transmission on the Rx400h, which is a good sign.

I love my Rx400h. I got mine used about a year ago (in 9 days it'll be a year) from a little dealer near by. I haven't had any "problems" with it, just a few issues getting some TSB work done...

Have you looked at any Rx400h's in person yet? There were a few changes made for the 2007 year, many upgrades including the navigation screen resolution, and interior wood trim replacing the 06's brushed aluminum trim. In 2008 even more changes were made, including blue tinted headlights and taillights, and blue accented emblems- just cosmetic things.

Most (if not all) Rx400h's (and Rx350's) have a known defect of blowing out a white powder through the AC vents, due to a poorly designed evaporator core that flakes as it ages. There is a TSB (or recall) for the fix, and it's covered for free. I had the fix completed this past March, but when i got the car back from the dealer they had scratched my radio, nav screen, nav unit and some vinyl and wood pieces... It was a hassle but i got them to replace the parts.

I think the Rx400h is a very reliable and wonderful car (well, SUV). It's built VERY well and the fit and finish is pretty amazing. It's a little more powerful than the standard Rx350, actually the Rx400h is the fastest SUV Lexus has ever made, even faster than the 010 Rx350 or Rx450h! Just don't buy the Rx400h if you think you're going to save on gas, because the gain is pretty slim. I think the Rx400h is more of a performance hybrid... well sort of. It seems like Lexus had a hard time figuring that one out.

Thanks, great response. I like the 07 b/c the NAV is better (looks like my wife NAV screen while the 06 NAV looks like the screen in my Avalon), and I dont like cars from the first year of a new model. I test drove 1 RX hybrid and a bunch of 350s. I liked the 400 much better. I actually had an 10 RX 350 for a week while our ES was at the dealer and liked the 400H more - the '10 was a base model and was horrible in the rain, gas mileage was good though.

One think that I think stinks in the RX is the stereo (hard to find ML system or Sat ready one), and there are no Aux inputs in the 07 (that I know of).

My concern is the tranny, my mechanic is a trans guru and I have seen a few RXs in his shop. Granted, they are older RXs, whe I asked him about the RX he said he hates the trans and computer that runs it. I told him the Hybrid had the CVT trans and he said CVT trans are belts and cones - stay away from them. It sounds like this may not be completely true, which is why I posted to the board. I am looking for an SUV that I can have for close to 200K (if I take care of it).

My Prius was bulletproof so I am hoping the Lexus hybrids are just as sound.A Lexus dealer told me last week that typically, Toy/Lexus builds the Hybrids better than their regular models. He would have told me anything to sell the vehicle, but I kinda believed him. Our Prius had a much better build quality than the Avalon from the same year.

Either way, thanks for your feedback. The RX I am looking at has 65K miles and a tow hitch...think I should run from that one? Not sure if lexus upgraded the tranny cooler of alternator if the factory towing package was installed.

Thanks again for your feedback.

We were one of the first RX400h owners in San Diego (back in 2005) and after 5 years and more than 50,000 miles, I can say without hesitation that this is the most bullet-proof vehicle we have ever owned. Not one incident of any kind has happened and while we have a trailer hitch, it is used to attach a 4-post bike rack.

Anyone who tries to convince you that the transmissions in these vehicles are unreliable really doesn't know what they are talking about. We average 24-26 MPG, even with my occasional lead foot and we can and do use regular fuel during the cooler months. Compared to folks we know who bought either the RX330 or RX350, (average of 16-18 MPG under similar driving conditions), our gain in fuel mileage is substantial.

You are correct, the standard audio system in the Rx400h is HORRIBLE. The standard system in my old Rx300 was a million times better. If i could do it again, i'd try to get the ML system in the Rx400h, although i've never heard the difference.

I wouldn't worry about any Rx400h's with a trailer hitch unless it was used heavily. Some of the Rx400h's came factory with some type of extra tranny cooler with the "tow prep package". I know mine has it.

Hi all,

Kinda new to the forum...I signed up 1.5 years ago, but that was for my wifes ES...I have a question...Thinking about an 06-06 RX 400h (leaning towards 07). I am not scared about the Hybrid functions (I used to own a Prius), but I want your opinion on whether or not you would buy the vehicle again and if you see the vehicle holding up for the long haul...What are the problem spots? How does the CVT transmission hold up...?

Looking for a vehicle with about 50-60K miles that I can put at least 150K on before having to rebuild replace the tranny/engine. Let me know your thoughts.

My other option is an 05-06 GX...Leaning towards the RX 400 though.

The way you worded your question, it sounds like you are wanting to put an additional 150k on top of 50-60k on a used 400h. Therefore you wonder what the drive train reliability will be in the 150-200k period. If Lexus has these numbers, they of course would not publish them, and the population of hybrids with this mileage which owners discuss in forums such as this are much too small to be statistically meaningful. My guess is that the reliability will not be much different than the typical automatic transmission. My concern would be that if the hybrid drive train did experience a failure, the repair/replacement cost could easily be double that of the conventional vehicle. There would be no rebuild. Failure would require replace with new. You would also be in the time frame when a new traction battery might be needed.

i have a 2007 RX400h and so far it is superb

the cvt xmission has gears not belts and pulleys

your man gave you the wrong info for the CVT

the battery is 8 years warrenty - i bought the extended

warrenty just in case ! so far no repairs have i

I know each driver will get different results based on driving habits, but I find the mileage to be much better than the regular RX330. Also, I believe 'all' the hybrid RXs came with the tranny cooler, which is located behind the vent in the bottom driver's side of the bumper.

Your mechanic might be a trans guru for 'certain' transmissions, but he can't be an expert in all of them. True, many CVTs use belts and pulleys, but the CVT in the RX does not.