Vaccuum Pump Question

driver8

How can you tell if your vaccuum pump isn't working? Do I have a vaccuum pump...or is it just a water pump?

My coolant level is right at the top of my reservior, and isn't going down when it is cool.

Is this a pump problem?

How can you tell if your vaccuum pump isn't working? Do I have a vaccuum pump...or is it just a water pump?

My coolant level is right at the top of my reservior, and isn't going down when it is cool.

Is this a pump problem?

??? Coolant is circulated by a coolant pump (often incorrectly called water pump). If engine isn't overheating then it doesn't seem like you have a problem. If car is overheating there could be an air lock impeding proper coolant circulation. I don't know of any vacuum pump onboard but vacuum exist when an engine is running on intake manifold and this is often used to power certain devices like cruise control actuator, HVAC vent doors. Not clear from your post what your problem is if any.

Is this a pump problem?

??? Coolant is circulated by a coolant pump (often incorrectly called water pump). If engine isn't overheating then it doesn't seem like you have a problem. If car is overheating there could be an air lock impeding proper coolant circulation. I don't know of any vacuum pump onboard but vacuum exist when an engine is running on intake manifold and this is often used to power certain devices like cruise control actuator, HVAC vent doors. Not clear from your post what your problem is if any.

Hi curious..thanks

car isn't overheating..coolant just isn't rising up and down in reservoir..like it usually does.. I'm thinking it might be a thermostat problem?

The level rises as the system pressurises if the temp gauge reading is normal it could be the cap on the expansion tank.

Vacuum pumps are normally used on diesel engines to provide the vacuum for the power assisted brakes as there is no inlet manifold vacuum on diesels.

The level rises as the system pressurises if the temp gauge reading is normal it could be the cap on the expansion tank.

Vacuum pumps are normally used on diesel engines to provide the vacuum for the power assisted brakes as there is no inlet manifold vacuum on diesels.

thanks Steve...I'll replace the res cap...altho it is rather new.