Timing Belt 90,000

tes1

I have a 2003 Rx 300 with only 90,000 klms on it the dealer keeps insisting i have to change the belt every time i go for an oil change . What do you think out there ? it doesn't sound right to me.more like a money grab?

I had a similar issue with the dealer insisting that I change the timing belt a 99RX300 at 60,000 miles because the maintenance schedule called for such change at 90K miles OR SIX(? or is it more?) YEARS. The dealer based his case on the time elapsed rather than the mileage. I gave in, but am not sure I should have done. Maybe another approach can be used: How long do you intend to keep the car? If not more than another year or two, you might think twice.... Otherwise, assuming the car doesn't get totaled, you are really just 'lending money' for a period, which at today's low interest rates, is not too onerous. But, reading other posts, there seems to be agreement that the belt should last at least 120K miles (+/- 192K klms), or, I guess the equivalent of ten years at 12K miles a year, and I never saw a mention of duration. I would hate, however, to strongly counsel against change and then you find the belt breaks soon after. On this forum, Lenore and some others might have more hands-on experience and thus better advice. [On an anedctodal note, the following summer the rear engine seal started leaking and this caused an expensive repair).

Good luck!

I have a 2003 Rx 300 with only 90,000 klms on it the dealer keeps insisting i have to change the belt every time i go for an oil change . What do you think out there ? it doesn't sound right to me.more like a money grab?

I have posted quite a few times on this subject over the last 2 or 3 years. I JUST posted a response on this subject on "Club Lexus". 60K mi is patently absurd and even 90K mi is unnecessary in my mind. I addressed all of these issues in that post. I honestly believe many, if not most, of the RX's could go the life of the vehicle without breaking a TB. (I AM NOT recommending that!) I also address the reason for that thinking in the post on CL.