Rx300 Cel P015, P1130, P1133, P1135

rmk9785e

My 99 RX300 (60,792 miles) has Check Engine Light on for the past few weeks. This is an almost new one owner car that has been well taken care of. My wife drives it probably twice a week for about 10 miles each time.

I checked at Advance AutoPart Store with their ODB II Code reader and got these four codes (in fact 5 because P1135 was listed twice). I have read through the forums and have seen many discussions of similar codes even though the combination of codes differs. There is no definitive solution or answer in spite of many people trying various things and spending big bucks.

I had the CEL problem once earlier (about 5,000 miles ago) and followed the instruction in this forum to clean one Oxygen sensor below the air filter. I did not check the codes at that time so I don't know if it was the same. The problem went away.

I am sure there are master mechanics also on these forums. Can't anyone come up with possible solutions other than replacing all the sensors, wiring harness, manifold, coolant thermostat etc. May I suggest that problems for which solutions have been found are flagged somehow so members can quickly see the ones with solutions.

I think of taking the car to the dealership. If they replace parts one at a time but the problem keeps coming back then it is possible some of the work was unnecessary. No one can afford to waste money in these tough economic times. What is one to do in this situation?

Help please!

My 99 RX300 (60,792 miles) has Check Engine Light on for the past few weeks. This is an almost new one owner car that has been well taken care of. My wife drives it probably twice a week for about 10 miles each time.

I checked at Advance AutoPart Store with their ODB II Code reader and got these four codes (in fact 5 because P1135 was listed twice). I have read through the forums and have seen many discussions of similar codes even though the combination of codes differs. There is no definitive solution or answer in spite of many people trying various things and spending big bucks.

I had the CEL problem once earlier (about 5,000 miles ago) and followed the instruction in this forum to clean one Oxygen sensor below the air filter. I did not check the codes at that time so I don't know if it was the same. The problem went away.

I am sure there are master mechanics also on these forums. Can't anyone come up with possible solutions other than replacing all the sensors, wiring harness, manifold, coolant thermostat etc. May I suggest that problems for which solutions have been found are flagged somehow so members can quickly see the ones with solutions.

I think of taking the car to the dealership. If they replace parts one at a time but the problem keeps coming back then it is possible some of the work was unnecessary. No one can afford to waste money in these tough economic times. What is one to do in this situation?

Help please!

RMK- as you may know all 3 of the P1130 codes refer to the rear A/F ratio sensor (on the exhaust manifold by the firewall). I have to say that it is POSSIBLE, but highly unlikely that that sensor would fail on ALL counts at the same time. There is no P015 code, but there is a P0015 ("B" camshaft position- overretarded, bank 1). I have a piece if advice- buy an inexpensive scanner so that you can do your own code reading. You can buy them as cheap as $40.-$50. and a pretty nice one for non-professional use for $100. The 1st thing you want to do in a case such as yours is hook up and cancel ALL codes. Then see what comes back, if any! When you get a flurry of codes like that you NEVER chase those codes. I have seen many times where NO codes come back. If you have code or codes come back, deal with THAT code. If you want, cancel again and see if the same code comes back and how soon. Then you begin to get some clarity to the picture. Also, codes are a ROAD SIGN, not a laser pointer. Sometimes they will point at the problem, sometimes in the general direction, sometimes in the wrong direction! Please understand that! It's a lot easier (and better) if you have your own scanner or code reader to have the flexibility that I mentioned. Meantime, do ALL the research you can in "Searches" on the forums to gain an education so that you won't be at the mercy of the "parts changers" and end up with your pockets turned inside out! Take this advice, it's GOOD advice, and it's FREE! Good Luck!

The P0015 code is probably the culprit....Not good, could be the VVTi cam adjuster is frozen up. or if lucky the valve that controls it.

Help please!

RMK- as you may know all 3 of the P1130 codes refer to the rear A/F ratio sensor (on the exhaust manifold by the firewall). I have to say that it is POSSIBLE, but highly unlikely that that sensor would fail on ALL counts at the same time. There is no P015 code, but there is a P0015 ("B" camshaft position- overretarded, bank 1). I have a piece if advice- buy an inexpensive scanner so that you can do your own code reading. You can buy them as cheap as $40.-$50. and a pretty nice one for non-professional use for $100. The 1st thing you want to do in a case such as yours is hook up and cancel ALL codes. Then see what comes back, if any! When you get a flurry of codes like that you NEVER chase those codes. I have seen many times where NO codes come back. If you have code or codes come back, deal with THAT code. If you want, cancel again and see if the same code comes back and how soon. Then you begin to get some clarity to the picture. Also, codes are a ROAD SIGN, not a laser pointer. Sometimes they will point at the problem, sometimes in the general direction, sometimes in the wrong direction! Please understand that! It's a lot easier (and better) if you have your own scanner or code reader to have the flexibility that I mentioned. Meantime, do ALL the research you can in "Searches" on the forums to gain an education so that you won't be at the mercy of the "parts changers" and end up with your pockets turned inside out! Take this advice, it's GOOD advice, and it's FREE! Good Luck!

Thank you for your prompt and wise advice. I will become a better informed consumer by researching through the forums for this topic. What do members think of the Autotap (www.autotap.com) scan tool set for this purpose?

The P0015 code is probably the culprit....Not good, could be the VVTi cam adjuster is frozen up. or if lucky the valve that controls it.

My mistake. The first code was P0125. I hope this is not as serious.

My mistake. The first code was P0125. I hope this is not as serious.

This should give you some insight into the P0125 code. As stated before, the code is often a signpost at best. I would advise researching to see what is the MOST LIKELY thing to trigger that DTC. (Hint- it MIGHT NOT be what would seem logical- not saying it's not, just that you can't take codes for face value). Check this out. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0125 Good Luck!

Thank you for your prompt and wise advice. I will become a better informed consumer by researching through the forums for this topic. What do members think of the Autotap (www.autotap.com) scan tool set for this purpose?

RMK- I use an Auto X-Ray 6000 which is a pretty nice scanner but I don't have a laptop (am a Macie anyway) so I couldn't comment on that program, but on the Club Lexus Forum, one of the moderators (screen name Lexmex) does use that type program and is quite familiar with it. I know it will give you a TON of useful information. You might do a search on that forum or even post for him (don't know if you could PM if you are a newbie there). You can't be too well educated!

I had all of these error codes. 1130 and 1135 usually where the first ones to pop up, then 0125 and misc. other codes at one time or another. My problem turned out to be the Bank 1, Sensor 1. The one you have to change from underneath. It was a very easy fix and only took 15 minutes or so. I sprayed some penetrating oil on the sensor, unscrewed it then took a coat hanger and pulled the sensor up through the left side of the engine so I could grab it with my left hand, reached around with my right hand and pushed the plug release, pulled with my left hand. Back under the car screwed the new one in and plugged it in. All my error codes have been gone for 1000 miles or so and the car runs infinitely better.

• 7 months later...

Help.

My crappy Lexus 2000 RX300 had the check engine on together with a symptom of unmoveable handle and break light failure. I had someone changed the break sensor, the check engine was still on. I then had it diagnosed with a scanner and found the coolant was low. I added coolant, the notorious check engine light was still on! Next I bought a scanner and got it today. Scanned. got 4 codes: P1135 P1130 pd, P1133 pd, P1135 pd. Basically, 3 codes: P1135, P1133 and P1130!

Can anybody give some advises as where I shall start to fix the issues. I am a pretty handy man but have very little experience with cars. My plan is to dump the crap after I fix it. I want to throw in as minimum bucks as possible because I am so tired of the crap.

I will go ahead to clear all codes and see which one will be back first.

But if you guys can help conclude the "rear A/F ratio sensor" is bad, I can start fix it.

Question: How harmful to the entire car or engine if I keep driving it for about 40 mile per day? I am asking this because this doesn't sound like a quick fix and I need time to order parts somewhere cheap.

Thanks for any help!