Traction Control Rx 400H

Hi,

does anybody of the forum members know how to switch-off the traction control of a 2006 RX 400h?

Your input is highly appreciated B)

there is a button in the glove box to disable the active stability control, but that does not seem to have any effect on wheel spin according to posters here.

If you find different, please let us know. I've never played with it.

Its really fun when you try accelerating the 400h in snowy conditions... the annoying TCS keeps beeping and i keep pushing it further when my car loses traction... thats when the computer kicks in and cuts the power until the car straightens itself out!! :cheers: I drove my poor car a lot this past winter and the maximum snow i drove in was abt. 2feet without a hitch....!!!!!! love my Rx 400h!! Yaaayyy!!

Hi,

does anybody of the forum members know how to switch-off the traction control of a 2006 RX 400h?

there is a button in the glove box to disable the active stability control, but that does not seem to have any effect on wheel spin according to posters here.

you are rioght, doesn't make any difference :cries:

Hi,

Doesn't that button turn of the rear power hatch? Seriously, the 2006 didn't have a traction off button. I think later models might have though.

Hi,

Doesn't that button turn of the rear power hatch? Seriously, the 2006 didn't have a traction off button. I think later models might have though.

Yes, you are absolutely right, I went thru the manual after nothing changed and came to the same conclusion. I will raise the issue with my mechanic, I'm pretty sure that there must be a way to switch it off

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes, you are absolutely right, I went thru the manual after nothing changed and came to the same conclusion. I will raise the issue with my mechanic, I'm pretty sure that there must be a way to switch it off

To whom it may concern.

My garage did a simple modification to my RX 400h, they connected an on/off switch in line with the 12V supply line to the ABS electronics. When traveling through rough terrain I just switch off the abs system (controls leds come on!!!) and no undesired braking takes place and traction is great. Once I am on normal roads again I have to stop the car, switch on the abs supply, cut ignition and restart the car. ;)

Does the ABS system control the traction control too? I wonder if this would work to prevent loss of power to the wheels in the snow? :huh:

Do you happen to know where your mechanic accessed the circuit? Was it at the fuse box?

Does this cut power to the entire ABS system or just open the circuits for the input sensors?

I have to believe that cutting power to the entire ABS system would just turn the system OFF, whereas opening the circuits of the input sensors would be more beneficial, in a sense tricking the ABS system into thinking there's nothing triggering the sensors that there's rough terrain.

As far as I know, on the 2006 there is no way to shut off the traction control.

Correct ... whether you have the AWD, or the FWD no button.

Its really fun when you try accelerating the 400h in snowy conditions... the annoying TCS keeps beeping and i keep pushing it further when my car loses traction... thats when the computer kicks in and cuts the power until the car straightens itself out!! :cheers: I drove my poor car a lot this past winter and the maximum snow i drove in was abt. 2feet without a hitch....!!!!!! love my Rx 400h!! Yaaayyy!!

+1

On the other hand, it IS important to have good snow tires. The stock tread suck major sphincter.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the ABS system control the traction control too? I wonder if this would work to prevent loss of power to the wheels in the snow? :huh:

Do you happen to know where your mechanic accessed the circuit? Was it at the fuse box?

Does this cut power to the entire ABS system or just open the circuits for the input sensors?

I have to believe that cutting power to the entire ABS system would just turn the system OFF, whereas opening the circuits of the input sensors would be more beneficial, in a sense tricking the ABS system into thinking there's nothing triggering the sensors that there's rough terrain.

I will contact the guy who did the modification to get more details out of him. The latest he told me when I picked up the car was, that contrary to my previous statement he did not disconnect the 12V by means of a switch instead connected a switch in line with 1 ABS sensor. If one sensor "fails" ABS is disabled.

The way it works is quite simple. The ABS system kicks in to break the wheel once the tracking control detects (a) wheel(s) are loosing its grip, subsequently the car is loosing power. Once the ABS is disabled the wheel keeps on turning and power is still provided to carry on driving.

• 4 years later...

I just learned how you can turn off the Traction Control system on an RX 400h:

1. Switch the car off, then switch it on without (ready) light.

2. While on P, press the gas pedal 4 times.

3. Shift to N, press the gas pedal 4 times.

4. Shift to P again, press gas pedal 4 times.

5. Switch the car to ready and drive (at your own risk) without computer controlled wheels!

The next time you start the car it will be back to normal again.

Great info! Thanks, snallfot.

I got stranded one time at the bottom of a hill b/c the traction control system removed all drive power from the wheels as they slipped in the mud/snow. A little wheel spin would have saved the day.

Had to back away from the hill and take a running start at it.

I just learned how you can turn off the Traction Control system on an RX 400h:

1. Switch the car off, then switch it on without (ready) light.

2. While on P, press the gas pedal 4 times.

3. Shift to N, press the gas pedal 4 times.

4. Shift to P again, press gas pedal 4 times.

5. Switch the car to ready and drive (at your own risk) without computer controlled wheels!

The next time you start the car it will be back to normal again.

Waaat... is this really working? Anyone tested this?

Over time, (for example look at when these threads started) this topic seems to have taken on a life of it's own. If you really want to know the complete and definitive answers, I suggest you go to the mountain and meet the Lexus gods.

You may already know about the Toyota based information site. "TIS" is Toyota Information Service. and contains all detail information for all Lexus, Toyota and Scion cars. You will find wiring diagrams, mechanical assemblies and exploded views of mechanical systems. You'll also find part numbers and other things like the traction control. In short, if you don't find it there you don't need it.

You access the website by " renting" time and usage. For example, I use the two day (48 hours) rental for $15.00. You can cover a lot of ground in two days and others have had great experience using the rental package. With the weekend coming up it could be a good time to log in and wonder around.

The LOC and myself have no connection with the TIS nor is there any kind of financial arrangements.

Go to TIS.com

Paul

Yes it works! 4 indicators and warnings pop up on the dash display telling you that traction control system is disabled. This is information the dealer should tell you about or put it in the manual. I went to the dealer to ask how to do this. They thought there was a button. They were no help.

I've owned my 2006 RX400h since 2009 and have been stuck a few times in deep snow (12" or deeper) because computer would just cut power to wheels. My only complaint about this car is inability to turn off traction control.

I just tested this procedure yesterday and I can attest that this works. I found a deep patch of snow, went into it slowly then hit the gas and saw snow being flung out by my front tires. The dash indicates maintenance mode with several warning lights as mentioned in previous posts.

Thanks snallfot. I'm going to print these steps out and put in glove compartment for the rare occasion I do get stuck.

But does anyone know what type of damage could be done by using this or is it just more a safety thing because no TC is activated?

Yeah, I'm not saying that this sequence might not work, but it does sound a little like,"1 eye of Newt, I teaspoon of dried bat wing and a pinch of garlic in your shorts!" LOL

Paul

I always sucked at the UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A START sequence playing Contra. I was surprised I pulled this off.

• Haha 1