2010 Rx Hybrid Quality

In my opinion, my 2000 RX has a better build quality than my 2005 RX. I am considering replacing the 2000 with a 2010 RX. The 2000 was built in Japan; the 2005 built in Canada. Since the 2010 Hybrid RX is built in Japan, I would consider a hybrid if I felt it had a better build quality than the non-hybrid version, but am uncertain about paying the price premium for a hybrid since I drive less than 10,000 miles per year. Any experiences related to comparing build quality between a hybrid and non-hybrid RX would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have read on other sites about the difference between the Canada and Japan built RX's. When I bought mine I insisted it be Japan built. To many complaints about the Canadian ones. The cost for the hybrid did not out way the savings in gas. I read somewhere you have to drive 80k miles to break even. I don't keep a car that long. So I bought a regular RX. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to keep in mind, the hybrid should bring a better price when traded down the road if you are one like me who doesn't keep one that long.

I've had several hybrids (not Lexus brand but Toyotas) but when I got my RX350 I didn't get the hybrid and now kicking myself. I miss the hybrid technology. I plan on getting a 2011 RX hybrid, not that anything is wrong with mine, just a dummy when it comes to new cars.

If fuel prices shot up again they will go crazy for them.

Just a thought

Bob

• 5 months later...

Are any RX350's made in Japan (or just in Ontario)? I know the hybrids are made in Japan, but I heard that the RX350's with high end options and/or the prestige package are made in Japan. I also believe you can tell where the car was made from the VIN? I have a 99 RX, one of the first, and the new ones don't compare to it in terms of materials and quality - they really cheapened up the cars. One example, the pouches on the backs of the front seats were very nice leather or vinyl, the new ones use a plastic board which feels and looks very cheap. There are many other examples. Of course, nothing you can do (except don't buy)

I do agree that the Rx300 "feels" like it has better build quality than the 04-09 Rx's. But the 04-09 Rx's "look" like they have better build quality. They just added more "vinyl" over dash parts which look "softer" than standard plastic.

From what i've seen, the 2010+ Rx's (both the Rx350 and Rx450h) have less vinyl covered parts than the 04-09's. The inside looks very "plasticky"...