100,000 Miles And Beyond....

RX in NC

Those of you who've been around this forum for years know that I berated my wife's previous 2000 RX300 AWD as the worst vehicle I've ever owned, period. It required more than $9,000 in warranty work while we owned it, and it suffered from all of the classic design flaws prevalent in the early RX models (transmission failure, rear main oil seal failure, cracked exhaust manifold, multiple sensor failures, strut mount bushing failure, etc. etc. etc.). I hated that vehicle and I was delighted when we sold it in January 2007. I did not like the fact that my wife wanted to replace it with another RX (her current 2004 RX330 AWD), but it was her money, her vehicle, and therefore her choice. I sucked it up, cut the best deal I could on the vehicle with the seller, and prepared for a continuation of more troubles with the Lexus brand....

After about a year of ownership, I came to realize that Lexus had learned its lesson with the early RX models because her 2004 RX330 was holding up far better than her previous 2000 RX300 ever did. We had several warranty issues and TSBs taken care of during the first year of ownership (transmission oil cooler tube assembly replaced, both front seat heaters replaced twice, various rattles quieted multiple times, malfunctioning HVAC servo motors replaced, both front brake rotors replaced), but after getting the vehicle settled in that first year, it has performed well with little more than routine maintenance since then. While never admitting that early RX models had weak transmissions prone to early failure, Lexus quietly upgraded them by the time the RX330 replaced the RX300 for the 2004 model year, and you just don't read about RX transmission failures from 2004 on. That's a good thing....

While I still believe that my wife could have made a number of better choices for a true AWD SUV (Subaru Outback, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Acura RDX), I want to give credit to this RX330 for holding up far better than her dog of a vehicle RX300 did. She crossed the 100,000-mile threshold in it yesterday and while she continues to prefer to drive her 2005 Jaguar S-Type sedan most of the time, her RX330 still shuttles our dogs around to their various classes and activities without complaining (albeit still a bit underpowered)....

So thanks, RX330, for doing your duty and not turning out to be the piece of crap that my wife's old RX300 was. Just keep on doing what you've been doing here in our household since January 2007. Those of you who know me also know that's about as strong a measure of praise that I can muster for the RX line....

While I too, have over 100,000 miles on my 2004 RX330 (125,000), I attribute this as much to my maintaining the vehicle as much as Lexus quality. I've had quite a few other brands over the years that have gone over 110k.

I have had this car in the shop more than any car I have ever owned. Transmission, mirror falling off, exterior window trim fell off, brakes shimmying etc. etc.

Presently, the roof rattles like crazy at highway speeds, the paint is chipping like mad on the front, all the dash warning lights come on at once periodically, the buttons fall of which hold the glove box in place etc. etc.

I highly regret having bought this car, at over $40k.

I hear you loud and clear. As I mentioned above, a Subaru Outback, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, or an Acura RDX would all have been much better choices for our needs....

Sorry you've had such a poor experience with yours. Next time you need a small SUV, check out any or all of the above choices....

I'm glad to hear your RX is holding up so well. Mine has only 78,000 miles on it and my goal is to make it to 250,000.

While I still believe that my wife could have made a number of better choices for a true AWD SUV ...Jeep Grand Cherokee...

I would never, in a million years, buy a Jeep. My Aunt had a 2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo, V8, fully loaded and it spent more time in the shop than on the road and it had an oil leak the whole time she had it. They traded it in a few months ago on a 2010 RX350.

Contrasting your aunt's experience, in our family we've had a 1985 Cherokee, a 1988 Cherokee, a 1994 Cherokee, a 1996 Grand Cherokee, and a 2000 Grand Cherokee. Hands down the best AWD or 4x4 vehicles we've ever owned. Nothing but routine maintenance required by all of them. The only major issue was the paint fading on my 1988 Cherokee (it was black - my mistake, I'll never own another black vehicle). In early 1992, Chrysler took all of the original paint down to the metal, re-primed, and re-painted it for me at no charge....

Our Jeeps have all been great. Sure wish my wife's current RX330 was a Grand Cherokee instead....

• 1 month later...

I have a Lexus RX330 2004 AWD and so far it has performed really well. I just reached 108,000 miles. At the moment I am due for brake pads on the rear (quoted cost with tax $297 - do not need rotors). Hopefully I will fine a good price for breaks. Does anyone know if the quoted price is reasonable?

Thanks in advance

I have a Lexus RX330 2004 AWD and so far it has performed really well. I just reached 108,000 miles. At the moment I am due for brake pads on the rear (quoted cost with tax $297 - do not need rotors). Hopefully I will fine a good price for breaks. Does anyone know if the quoted price is reasonable?

Thanks in advance

Looks like you let them get a look at your bank account and they found it well "padded". Any decent mechanic should be able to replace the rear pads in about 10-15 min on your RX. At about $60. for the pads (max) $230.-$240. for 15 min work is what I'd call a little "PRICEY". They are some of the easiest pads to put on of any car, a women could almost do them. But then it is a Lexus isn't it ? That "free" coffee in the waiting room would put Starbucks to shame! I would use the OEM pads (because they are high quality, they're made by Akebono) but I would look for someone else to put them on.

Thanks in advance

Ok (smiling), I am a woman and I don't think I could have replaced brake pads. However; I placed this post because I knew you guys would know the answer. In addition you were correct, I found the ceramic pads at such a price...thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...Interesting thread. I landed here looking for information on what could go wrong next on my 99 RX300. I have 160,000 miles on it and am about the replace the timing belt. I've been through sensors and exhaust work already, but I'm hoping that I can keep this car for about another year or so before getting a new one..I'm shooting for at least 180,000 miles, but we'll see...

• 1 month later...

I'm at 190,000km (so around 120 miles). Had the panoramic roof fixed under warranty, some warranty work on the transmission and PCV if I recall, spent maybe $1k fixing door locks/windows, but other than that, zero issues thus far (knock on wood).

I also live in Toronto, so not exactly the friendliest weather either...

• 10 months later...

OK, can I get a sanity check here?

I am here in Virginia and getting ready to do a transmission, transfer, and rear differential fluid drain and fill this weekend at 65K Miles for the first time on my 2006 RX330 AWD.

Here is what I am thinking. Drain the transmission using 10MM wrench- measure fluid output, replace new through dipstick ~4.5 qts or so. Then pull transmission return line from radiator, start car, purge remainging old ATF ~ 2qts or so, shut off car when clean fluid is extracted. Top off transmission, run shifter through all gears, done. Is this about right? So should I grab 7 qts of Toyota T-IV fluid, or better to get 8?

Also, was going to replace transfer case and rear differential fluid too. I believe they each take a quart of gear oil, either 75W-80, 7fW-90, or 80W-90, and it appears that folks like Royal purple the best. Are there drain and fill plugs on each of these units? With an AWD, do I also have a front differential, or is that built into the transmission?

Am I missing anthing here?

Thanks,

Dennis