Struts Or Srings Or Bushings On Rx300 1999

Tjn

With our RX300, 1999 (130,000 miles), we're experiencing a noise in the back end. We had been told the struts needed replacing. We did with Monroes and it made a weird noise. The shop replaced them again, and the noise is back. The shop says they think it's springs---but you can't buy springs without the struts (which are new). We took it to a toyota shop (no lexus in our city), and they thought it was the struts---

There's no noise if the road is smooth. Hear the noise as soon as the load of weight in the car increases, i.e., one person not much noise. Three and the 'clunk' happens. The noise is quick, a loud thunk, and that's all. The shocks are guaranteed--but we need to know what steps to take...go ask for the struts to be replaced, check the bushings, something to check? Is it likely that the springs are an issue? The Toyota mechanic said maybe after we told him the struts had been replaced---but I don't think that they have much experience with Lexus RX's in our city.

HELP.

Tjn- What ALL was replaced when the struts were replaced? Meaning was ANYTHING else replaced? The reason I ask is the upper strut mounts are a wear issue with the RX. I don't know about the rear but the front make a hellashous clunk when you go over a bump because of the deterioration of the rubber in the upper center of the mount. I would have thought that the shop that did the struts would have replaced that (if the rear has it) when they did the struts, especially when they put the 2nd set in. When does it make this "quick loud thunk"? Just driving down the road, or going over something like a pot hole or railroad tracks? I can't imagine that the spring could be the problem, unless the rubber pad the spring sits on is worn out. Coil springs in and of themselves shouldn't make any noise.

• 2 months later...

With our RX300, 1999 (130,000 miles), we're experiencing a noise in the back end. We had been told the struts needed replacing. We did with Monroes and it made a weird noise. The shop replaced them again, and the noise is back. The shop says they think it's springs---but you can't buy springs without the struts (which are new). We took it to a toyota shop (no lexus in our city), and they thought it was the struts---

There's no noise if the road is smooth. Hear the noise as soon as the load of weight in the car increases, i.e., one person not much noise. Three and the 'clunk' happens. The noise is quick, a loud thunk, and that's all. The shocks are guaranteed--but we need to know what steps to take...go ask for the struts to be replaced, check the bushings, something to check? Is it likely that the springs are an issue? The Toyota mechanic said maybe after we told him the struts had been replaced---but I don't think that they have much experience with Lexus RX's in our city.

HELP.

Same issue now. Did you ever get this resolved? What was the solution /cost? Thanks