Paint Pealing On 2004 Gx 470

rfcbuf

The paint on my 2009 GX, which has always been garaged and waxed, recently began to chip along both sides. The chipping paint seems to follow the outer surface of the vehicle along the lower portions of the door and up and around the wheel wells.  Before I get it repainted, I am trying to figure out if it is the paint deteriorating or if it is an external cause. ANy help would be most appreciated.

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

Sorry to see what is happening to your rig, My 04 gx470  which is my daily driver still does not have the problem you are seeing. However my fender paint lost its shine about 3+ years ago and is fading. Car is also garaged and washed periodically so its a bit upsetting to see it.

• 7 months later...

My paint is peeling on all 4 doors and the roof.  The clear coat is coming off on the bumper.  Lexus/Toyota replaced my Dash 2 years ago and I was happy.  Now I am looking at a repaint.  Anyone have this done? Cost?

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota sent out a message that they are going to address the peeling paint after 15yrs. I painted the hood and roof of my truck which cost about $ 2000 but now my 04 GX is peeling in other places. Front quarter panel and doors. I hope they address this soon.

I received a letter from Lexus saying they may reimburse people for this if they have painted their cars.  My car had gotten so bad that I finally had it painted after I found a place to do it.  They did it for $2500 and they painted my whole car from the molding up    Looks so much better now.  It was awful beforehand 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phillips said:

I received a letter from Lexus saying they may reimburse people for this if they have painted their cars.  My car had gotten so bad that I finally had it painted after I found a place to do it.  They did it for $2500 and they painted my whole car from the molding up    Looks so much better now.  It was awful beforehand 

Wow.  How can I get information about this?!?

I just bought a used GX 470, have been so happy with my choice until 30 days in, I notice peeling paint on the roof! Lucky for me, a neighbor restores old cars and offered to help me. He warned me it wouldn’t be a “perfect” job. Since it was on the roof, I didn’t care at all, I just wanted to prevent further damage and rust! He did a great job for as much as he warned me. He even touched up those pesky bummers everyone is referring too. The bumpers look amazing!  I just thought it was a weird freak thing. Now the door by the passenger window is also peeling! That a much more complicated fix. Yikes! What did I get myself into! 

CC774FE2-8C15-4D4F-B84C-179F2BE10574.jpeg

05935D76-D1BC-40C3-9C3C-84EA4A534B77.jpeg

62DF37C5-466F-4ABF-95EE-E69F1CB76620.jpeg

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/21/2019 at 11:06 AM, zippymbr said:

OOI

On 10/2/2019 at 1:24 PM, Charles777 said:

Toyota sent out a message that they are going to address the peeling paint after 15yrs. I painted the hood and roof of my truck which cost about $ 2000 but now my 04 GX is peeling in other places. Front quarter panel and doors. I hope they address this soon.

Where was this message ? Can you share, please? I want to contact Toyota about my Gx 470 2006 because the paint is horribly chipping off. 

• 6 months later...

I own a 2007 GX 470 Lexus that we love very much only has 60,000 miles on .But it look terrible the paint has peel off so bad door,top,hood.sides it a eye sore mess..we can't seem to get any help on getting it painted back .not pretty when we park it in the Church parking lot ever one ask what happen..i need help... thanks from Glen justus

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea it was this much of an issue especially with just this color. I have a 07 with the exact same issues with the hood and roof and the base of the windows. Man I wish this would be a recall.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the info.  I was sitting here thinking the paint issues on 2005 GX470 Blizzard Pearl hood, doors, and roof were caused from a hurricane in 2017.  Please share any info to get this horrible paint issue resolved.  

• 1 year later...

Having the exact same issue on my white 04 GX470 peeling at the base of the rear passenger door window.  I understand how cracks and chipping/peeling can occur on flexible parts like bumpers and moulding, but so many issues here regarding the top edges of the doors.  Too many not to be a model specific issue, or is it just this paint?.  Now my wife hates driving it to drop off/pick up daughter from school.  Totally unnecessary anxiety from such a nice car.

• 9 months later...

I realize that this thread is over 5 years old but my 2005 Blizzard Pearl GX 470 has recently begun to peel and flake on the doors and roof as well.  The doors and roof look just like the photos shared above from Libby Brown.  Not sure why it took longer for mine to peel?  I have owned and riven it since 2007.  I live in Southern Calif.

I am hoping that since nothing has been posted on this thread in 5 years that something good came out of it???  Can someone please share that "good news"?!!