How Much Is It Worth To A Junkyard?

trout

Well my 2000 rx300 crapped the bed. The transmission is done.

Any ideas on what a clean 2000 with 129k miles and a bad tranny is worth to a scrapyard?

Sadly, probably not very much. I think you would do better advertising it on Craigslist or the Recycler or on one of the Toyota or Lexus forums or somewhere else that is free. Might even be worth the cost of an add in Autotrader. There are plenty of mechanics or mechanically minded that would be interested in it if it's clean and in good shape otherwise. It's not that terribly expensive to rebuild the trans or put a used Hylander trans in for someone who can do all the work themselves. Wrecking yard isn't going to give much for it I don't think. Sorry to hear the bad luck and hope it works out well for you. if it were mine, I would probably try to locate a good trans guy who would do the work on the side and might be worth keeping then, especially if you could discuss it in detail before he did it and were assured it would be done right. By the way, what state do you live in?

Yup the way I look at it to repair the tranny is cheaper than a new car or a few months of cars payments. Should be able to get it done for under $3500 from and independent.....Also figure your insurance and license fees are cheaper on a older Lexus than a new car.....

• 3 weeks later...