96 Es300 Neutral Acts Like Drive

I purchased a 1996 ES 300, the tranmission seal was leaking, so we replaced it, but the kit came with the cork seal, which started leaking again. I waited too long, and 1st and 2nd went out. Replaced the bad seal with a good one and refilled the fluid. Then I took it to a transmission place, they reset the speed sensor code p500 I think, and 1st and 2nd came back (but they did not tell me this) they test drove it and when they got back, reverse no longer worked, but it worked fine when I pulled in to the shop. They told me back what I told them and said it would cost $1,600, but since I had no money, I tried to leave. The guy at the shop knew I had to turn the engine off to be able to push it back in neutral.

Basically, my car drives forward fine, neutral is also a drive gear, you can now drive forward in neutral as well as start the car in neutral, and reverse does not work at all.

I think the guy at the transmission shop set some manual switch. Anyone have any ideas