2004 Rx 330 - Idiling Engine Noisy

deeps30

Does anyone notice that the RX 330 engine idle is noiser at 70K miles than it used to be like when it was brand new?

Compared it to the wifey's 2010 Highlander, the Lexus is noiser.

Any suggestions on what I could have the local mechanic to look at to reduce the idiling noise.

Thanks.

Does anyone notice that the RX 330 engine idle is noiser at 70K miles than it used to be like when it was brand new?

Any suggestions on what I could have the local mechanic to look at to reduce the idiling noise.

Thanks.

When you say noisy, what kind of noise does it make? Knock, tap, rattle, ??? My DIL's '99 RX with 140k+ mi. is quiet as can be. What kind of oil filter have you been using on it? (brand)

Thanks.

When you say noisy, what kind of noise does it make? Knock, tap, rattle, ??? My DIL's '99 RX with 140k+ mi. is quiet as can be. What kind of oil filter have you been using on it? (brand)

I would describe the noise as a clickty clack more than a knock or rattel. Oil Filter is Fram.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that (about the Fram (Google Fram filter problems and you'll understand what I mean). I am on several other car and truck forums and many many engine problems and even blown engines as a result of using Fram filters. My son used to use Fram on his wife's RX (because they were easy to get) and since he's not very mechanically knowledgeable and I have done a LOT of work on the car, I told him if he wanted me to continue to do the work on it he'd have to lose the Fram filters or lose me as the (free) mechanic because I (and a LOT of other people) think they are pure junk and do cause a lot of engine problems. I would not use them if they backed up a lifetime supply to my door tomorrow. Needless to say, he ditched the Fram's. Millions of people use them for billions of miles and have no problem, but that doesn't make it right. Ask the people who have had engine problems from using them. Wish I could say what the noise is, but without hearing it that's difficult. Have you ever had the front valve cover removed and checked for sludge? I realize the later RX's shouldn't have that problem, but I have read of a couple that have. What do you use in it for oil, and how often changed? (meaning regular dino oil, semi-synthetic, or full synthetic and also what brand?)