Sc400 Leaking Taillights

Anyone had any luck in getting the condensation to stop/out of taillight lenses? Mine look fine, no cracks, damage or otherwise unusual: just beads of water inside on both sides.

Is there a fix? Drilling drain holes with a Dremmel? Any hints on how to remove/replace other than "...just have the Dealer put in new one$"?

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem and I found that drilling drain holes worked OK for a while but eventually they fog up on the inside. You have to be very careful where you drill the holes: note that the lens has a kind of double skin and the condensation accumulates between the two layers. That's where the hole needs to go to. Once I'd drilled the holes I blew air through them with a hairdryer (make a kind of a funnel thing with a drinking straw to blow through the hole). Also, I've never tried it but maybe you could put some dessicant in there to soak up excess moisture

It's only a temporary fix though. Put a search out on eBay for replacements.

Anyone had any luck in getting the condensation to stop/out of taillight lenses? Mine look fine, no cracks, damage or otherwise unusual: just beads of water inside on both sides.

Is there a fix? Drilling drain holes with a Dremmel? Any hints on how to remove/replace other than "...just have the Dealer put in new one$"?

• 2 weeks later...

polarbreeze: Thanks for your reply: obviously the drain holes should go "on the bottom" of the lens (DUH!), but where did you allign them laterally? More than one per side? Penetrate outer layer only? 1/4" deep?

Thanks again! You are the only one on three forums to bother to respond...

Norm

I had the same problem and I found that drilling drain holes worked OK for a while but eventually they fog up on the inside. You have to be very careful where you drill the holes: note that the lens has a kind of double skin and the condensation accumulates between the two layers. That's where the hole needs to go to. Once I'd drilled the holes I blew air through them with a hairdryer (make a kind of a funnel thing with a drinking straw to blow through the hole). Also, I've never tried it but maybe you could put some dessicant in there to soak up excess moisture

It's only a temporary fix though. Put a search out on eBay for replacements.