Looked At Rx400 And 450 H

Ok, so wife and I were bored after breakfast with the mother in law (love her by the way) and so Wife and I looked at the RX400H...Wow what happened to the rear seat leg room, the center console sticks right in the middle of the center seat foot room? Is there an alternate console to fix this problem...We have grandbabies and sometimes wife takes friends to lunch, that sucks big time. So on to the RX450H, Ok center console no longer a problem. We drove the car and were in ahhhhhh. We presently have our 11year old RX300 which we are original owners and have 178k miles. Thought I would entertain the Hybrid, but would prefer used...I was considering The 400h, but the 450H has better seat accomodations on the rear seat....I would not put us into that kind of debt (did not negotiate the 54k sticker price) but we are in no rush, so maybe in a couple of years a good used one for 20k less would be more affordable. Time will tell, but I am surprised at the first impression of both cars, both good and bad....The console is a real sore thumb...

Ok, so wife and I were bored after breakfast with the mother in law (love her by the way) and so Wife and I looked at the RX400H...Wow what happened to the rear seat leg room, the center console sticks right in the middle of the center seat foot room? Is there an alternate console to fix this problem...We have grandbabies and sometimes wife takes friends to lunch, that sucks big time. So on to the RX450H, Ok center console no longer a problem. We drove the car and were in ahhhhhh. We presently have our 11year old RX300 which we are original owners and have 178k miles. Thought I would entertain the Hybrid, but would prefer used...I was considering The 400h, but the 450H has better seat accomodations on the rear seat....I would not put us into that kind of debt (did not negotiate the 54k sticker price) but we are in no rush, so maybe in a couple of years a good used one for 20k less would be more affordable. Time will tell, but I am surprised at the first impression of both cars, both good and bad....The console is a real sore thumb...

Doesn't the console slide forward or back, as you wish, when you depress the lever inside the 'box'? Sliding it forward would give you more room for legs etc.. for back-seaters.

Oh yeah, if the console isn't slid forward anyone in the back seat will have a problem. It's a cool little invention.

I like being able to slide it depending on the circumstances. It's also pretty cool to be able to "hold" food tight to the dash when transporting it home or what not (so it doesn't slide around).

Doesn't the console slide forward or back, as you wish, when you depress the lever inside the 'box'? Sliding it forward would give you more room for legs etc.. for back-seaters.

Correct! That console slides forward; have the salesperson show you. By the way, we've had our RX400h since new in April of 2004 and it has had zero problems - most certainly, the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Our average gas mileage is 24-26, about the same as my 4 cylinder Mazda.

Yea the salesman called today, Still didnt know about the console sliding...Said gee, I will go check it out....Ok Guys the only other downside is the lack of wood in the 400h...I know there are some talented people that can add it...I know the 2010 is nice, but at 54k way too much...I just wanted to know if the 400h is going to be a good replacement for the next 10 years. My RX300 does have a few miles on it. Where there a lot of options on the 400h? I nav standard? I know do a search...

RX400h, why are your messages longer than a wedding runway carpet? :)

Tom

Tom,

I like to write!

dave

Where there a lot of options on the 400h? I nav standard?

Most of the early RX400hs came with everything, including the Mark L. stereo system upgrade. Ours did not come with the video entertainment package, but we really didn't need it, anyway. And as I mentioned previously, you will not find a more reliable vehicle.

Yea the salesman called today, Still didnt know about the console sliding...Said gee, I will go check it out....Ok Guys the only other downside is the lack of wood in the 400h...I know there are some talented people that can add it...I know the 2010 is nice, but at 54k way too much...I just wanted to know if the 400h is going to be a good replacement for the next 10 years. My RX300 does have a few miles on it. Where there a lot of options on the 400h? I nav standard? I know do a search...

Which year Rx400h did you look at? The 06's didn't come with any wood interior trim, instead it was replaced with brushed aluminum trim. The 07-08's however replaced the silver with wood just like the Rx330/350.

Some of the 2006 Rx400h's didn't have navigation, some were available pretty stripped. In 2007-2008 i would say 99% of them came standard with nav. Mark Lev sound was not standard on very many of them in any year, neither was the rear entertainment system. If you look on ebay and such, you won't find many without nav, and you won't find many with the Mark Lev sound system...

All Rx400h's came with the HID AFS headlights (where this was an option on the 330/350) and all AWD models have the heated seats too.

Yeah the RXh has a lot of wood, more wood than in the RX300. Its on the console, wheel & shifter, and down all the doors, on the console in the back, etc...

Which year Rx400h did you look at? The 06's didn't come with any wood interior trim, instead it was replaced with brushed aluminum trim. The 07-08's however replaced the silver with wood just like the Rx330/350.

Some of the 2006 Rx400h's didn't have navigation, some were available pretty stripped. In 2007-2008 i would say 99% of them came standard with nav. Mark Lev sound was not standard on very many of them in any year, neither was the rear entertainment system. If you look on ebay and such, you won't find many without nav, and you won't find many with the Mark Lev sound system...

All Rx400h's came with the HID AFS headlights (where this was an option on the 330/350) and all AWD models have the heated seats too.

It was a 2006, and yes it did not have wood, thank you so much for your input....I have followed your mods with great interest...I guess it would have to be a 2007 and up because my wife and I like the wood look....When you get nav do they all come with rear camera too?

I vividly remember seeing the '06 RX400h on a pedestal at the Philly Auto Show and wondering, "Where's the wood?"

My recollection is that since this was a HYBRID vehicle most likely being purchased by people with an "environmental bent," Lexus made the decision to NOT put wood in it. The gas RX had the normal wood accents.

When you get nav do they all come with rear camera too?

Yes, I believe all NAV-equipped RX400hs have the backup camera.

You guys are great, now just have to figure out when I am going to buy one....

Just start "looking" and try to find a killer deal. Don't buy one unless it's a good though... It doesn't sound like it's urgent, so just let time be on your side.

Last May i wasn't really 'interested' in getting my Rx400h, i just happened to be looking on Autotrader one day (just looking at pictures) and stumbled on this particular AWD Rx400h. This little dealer about an hour away was asking $31,000 for an 08 with 42k miles, the price being about $10k less than ANY other 08 Rx400h for sale ANYWHERE in the US... So i just had to check it out (thinking there was something wrong with it) but found out it was prestine! I told my parents about what i had found, and they took a trip with me to see it. They too were so amazed at the price so we made the deal! We ended up knocking a little more off the price too, trading in the old Rx300.

Even today, a year later, it's a rare find to see a 2008 Rx400h for < $31,000...

Just give it time and you'll find a good one <_<

Just make a note before purchasing whether it's AWD or FWD as it's hard to tell visually. The FWD Rx400h's are a few thousand cheaper and some dealers might advertise it incorrectly...

How do you tell awd or fwd...I know on the RX300 it is easy just look for a drive shaft....

I know the underneath is different (but i don't know how...).

If you can look at the "INFO" screen on the dash, the AWD versions will have 2 batteries, while the FWD version only 1.

How do you tell awd or fwd...I know on the RX300 it is easy just look for a drive shaft....

I know the underneath is different (but i don't know how...).

If you can look at the "INFO" screen on the dash, the AWD versions will have 2 batteries, while the FWD version only 1.

On both the RX300 and the RX350, the AWD has an "H" as the fourth letter of the VIN. Would it not be the same for the 400/450H?

Look under the rear, between the back wheels. The 400h has an MGR (motor generator rear) or electric motor that powers the rear differential and it's quite easy to see it. You'll notice the cooling fins for the entire unit hanging down.

p1010209k.jpg