Shifting Problem

I have a 1990 LS 400. when it reaches operating temperature it misses 2nd gear when shifting. It goes from first to third. The car has 200,000 miles and looks and runs great. Is there a most common problem causing this condition?

Thanks

How do you know it is shifting from 1st to 3rd? Unless you watch the tach, sometimes it is hard to tell when these shift. I guess it shifts okay before it is warmed up?

I would have thought the easiest way to check is to put the car manually into 1 then shift into 2 whilst on the move then you should be able to feel the shift into 2nd.

If it doesn't check the AT fluid levels then think expensive as it could be a shift solenoid out.

I have a 1990 LS 400. when it reaches operating temperature it misses 2nd gear when shifting. It goes from first to third. The car has 200,000 miles and looks and runs great. Is there a most common problem causing this condition?

Thanks

I can tell it is missing second because when taking off all is OK until the first shift, when it bogs down. I can bring the shifter back one step and the RPM`s come up to normal and the power is what it should be. How do I read the trans codes because the O/D light flashes too when at normal operating temp.

Thanks

Telling us at the beginning that the O/D light was also flashing would have helped us to help you.

Follow the link below for code reading.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

I assume that the transmission fluid is good,of the correct type and the level is correct?

Do the diagnostic codes for the A/T, possible suspects apart from the above is a defective shift solenoid

I agree with Steve, you have defective shift solenoid which are inside the sump case. The are around $50.00 a piece and is easy to change, you will have to remove the sump pan/oil pan and they are sitting at the bottom. I had to change mine a few years ago for the same problem. Good luck.