Es300 Front End Rattle

hi, I recently bought an es300, 2000 model, my first lexus, so I know very little about them. The car has done 172000kms and has been serviced all its life at the local lexus dealer. The log book is full and up to date. The car, in almost every respect, is perfect. However, at low speeds, over slight bumps and repairs in the road, the front end rattles, incessantly..the rattle seems to come from the wheel arch area..both sides, but definitely louder from the right side..its rather a, perhaps, mechanical type of rattle..most annoying..has anybody got any ideas, could it be the shock/struts? I thought perhaps someone may have had a similar problem with their es300 and resolved it..I contacted the lexus dealer, and they are a lot of help..they have been doing the services..but I bet they never actually drove the car, so how would they know about the rattle..there is no record of this problem in the log, which is strange..as it is extremely noticable and annoying,

I'd be curious to know if the noise goes away when you are braking on rough pavement. If it does, then you have loose brake parts, caliper or pads. I bring this up because I've been there in the past. Good Luck!

hi, I recently bought an es300, 2000 model, my first lexus, so I know very little about them. The car has done 172000kms and has been serviced all its life at the local lexus dealer. The log book is full and up to date. The car, in almost every respect, is perfect. However, at low speeds, over slight bumps and repairs in the road, the front end rattles, incessantly..the rattle seems to come from the wheel arch area..both sides, but definitely louder from the right side..its rather a, perhaps, mechanical type of rattle..most annoying..has anybody got any ideas, could it be the shock/struts? I thought perhaps someone may have had a similar problem with their es300 and resolved it..I contacted the lexus dealer, and they are a lot of help..they have been doing the services..but I bet they never actually drove the car, so how would they know about the rattle..there is no record of this problem in the log, which is strange..as it is extremely noticable and annoying,

Sounds like the issue I had....There is a TSB on this about mounts.

First I tried what some on here said worked..spraying lube in proper mount locations...NOT

Then I tried the sway bar mounts...$18 from Lexus and about 25 minutes to install....NOT

Lastly, I just replaced both front struts (KYB: GR-2), Lower insulators (Lexus/toyo part), upper insulators (Lexus/toyo part), bump stops (Lexus/toyo part), Seat Backs (Lexus/toyo part), mount plate (Lexus/toyo part) and lasty the new-and-improved mounts(Lexus/toyo part), ...NOISE GONE...

Took about 1 hour to remove all and install new.

Well worth the $420 for all the parts to my door. Lexus wanted over 1,000 to do...

Check your sway bar (stabilizer bar links). They are small connecting rod links on the front right and left sides. I had a rattle on my 1998 es300 on both sides and these links were both broken. Probably broken from hitting a pot hole or two while driving. Take off your wheel, look for this part on the right side. It's about a foot long with ball joint ends that bolt to your suspension. Grab it and see if either end is loose or appears broken (usually at the ball joint). It's about a $30 part- it may save you some money if this is it.

Check your sway bar (stabilizer bar links). They are small connecting rod links on the front right and left sides. I had a rattle on my 1998 es300 on both sides and these links were both broken. Probably broken from hitting a pot hole or two while driving. Take off your wheel, look for this part on the right side. It's about a foot long with ball joint ends that bolt to your suspension. Grab it and see if either end is loose or appears broken (usually at the ball joint). It's about a $30 part- it may save you some money if this is it.

thanks to all you people for offering your thoughts and experiences re: my problem with a rattling front end..this website/club rocks!! I now have a great deal of information to work on and have decided to get the problem looked at at the mechanical shop over the road this friday (they have a hoist!), but now have a virtual pool of helpful information to suggest to them in the search for the problem. I will post the prognosis and certainly the ultimate solution when it is found. you americans are so..information sharing savvy..that's fantastic..I'm very glad to have joined your club, peter

Hi messerschmidtt,

I'd be very interested in finding out how you solved this. I have similar rattle on my 99 ES that just started happening. I had new OEM struts, strut mounts, bump stop and upper and lower spring insulators put in just 3 months ago so it can't be that. Keep us posted!

Hi messerschmidtt,

I'd be very interested in finding out how you solved this. I have similar rattle on my 99 ES that just started happening. I had new OEM struts, strut mounts, bump stop and upper and lower spring insulators put in just 3 months ago so it can't be that. Keep us posted!

You might as well go ahead and replace the upper strut mounts. It was an extremely common problem - virtually 100% failure rate - on both the Toyota Camry and ES300 of that era. Lexus and Toyota dealers here in the U.S. replaced many thousands of upper strut mounts under warranty. The ones on our Camry were replaced a few years ago at 80,000 after years of rattling -- our Camry is driven little and was out of warranty by the time the rattle became apparent.

Your 2000 Aussie spec ES300 uses the same poorly designed upper strut mounts ("SUPPORT SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION")- same part numbers - as our 1998 Camry that had the same front suspension rattle. You can check the part numbers at: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_2000_LEXUS_ES300_MCV20R-BTPGKQ_4803.html

I think the replacments are supposed to be "better" but I wouldn't know how to tell.

I checked the invoice for the repair on our Camry and see that the part numbers for the replacement upper strut mounts were 48609-33121 and 48603-33021.

It seems odd that the rattle on our Camry also seemed worse on the right side. I thought it might have been from hitting road defects that seem more common near the edge of the road but your having the same situation on your RHD ES seems to blow that theory. Maybe there is less sound insulation on the right side of the firewall.

You might as well go ahead and replace the upper strut mounts. It was an extremely common problem - virtually 100% failure rate - on both the Toyota Camry and ES300 of that era. Lexus and Toyota dealers here in the U.S. replaced many thousands of upper strut mounts under warranty. The ones on our Camry were replaced a few years ago at 80,000 after years of rattling -- our Camry is driven little and was out of warranty by the time the rattle became apparent.

Your 2000 Aussie spec ES300 uses the same poorly designed upper strut mounts ("SUPPORT SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION")- same part numbers - as our 1998 Camry that had the same front suspension rattle. You can check the part numbers at: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_2000_LEXUS_ES300_MCV20R-BTPGKQ_4803.html

I think the replacments are supposed to be "better" but I wouldn't know how to tell.

I checked the invoice for the repair on our Camry and see that the part numbers for the replacement upper strut mounts were 48609-33121 and 48603-33021.

It seems odd that the rattle on our Camry also seemed worse on the right side. I thought it might have been from hitting road defects that seem more common near the edge of the road but your having the same situation on your RHD ES seems to blow that theory. Maybe there is less sound insulation on the right side of the firewall.

yes, well, today, this afternoon in fact, I took it back to the same mechanic, with the car rattling all over tha place..and insisted he take it for another drive..just slowly..on a sealed road..and sure enough..without any prompting, he came back and said it is definitely..100%, without question..top strut/shockie mounts..then I came home and found your post..nice work my friend..you are spot on..thanks

yes, well, today, this afternoon in fact, I took it back to the same mechanic, with the car rattling all over tha place..and insisted he take it for another drive..just slowly..on a sealed road..and sure enough..without any prompting, he came back and said it is definitely..100%, without question..top strut/shockie mounts..then I came home and found your post..nice work my friend..you are spot on..thanks

But you are nuts to just replace that one item. That is why I posted above to replace other items while you are in there. The mounts are the highest item..Do the items I listed and be done for like 100+K miles.

But you are nuts to just replace that one item. That is why I posted above to replace other items while you are in there. The mounts are the highest item..Do the items I listed and be done for like 100+K miles.

yes you are probably right..but as this problem has been literally doing my head in for the last couple of months, and I'm so wanting to pinpoint the offending component for my own piece of mind..and the fact that on inspection, everything else around the front suspension seems to be in remarkably good order (the previous one owner really looked after this car)..and, have to consider that over here we just dont have access to the huge pool of cheap after market parts like you guys do (genuine toyota/lexus parts are notoriously expensive here)..I'm going to just start with the top strut mounts..I do the job this tuesday..I'll post the outcome..

yes you are probably right..but as this problem has been literally doing my head in for the last couple of months, and I'm so wanting to pinpoint the offending component for my own piece of mind..and the fact that on inspection, everything else around the front suspension seems to be in remarkably good order (the previous one owner really looked after this car)..and, have to consider that over here we just dont have access to the huge pool of cheap after market parts like you guys do (genuine toyota/lexus parts are notoriously expensive here)..I'm going to just start with the top strut mounts..I do the job this tuesday..I'll post the outcome..

Just trying to save $$$$. I know my lower spring isolators were shots, yours will be too (they are rubber), and bumps stop will be gone/hard as a rock/ The boots might be okay and I hope the bearings look nice. Just that it would suck to put just the top mounts on and then down the road the rubber seats go (metal on metal), or the bump stops split...

Good luck..I had the noise for about 2 months and could not take it anymore...Worst part is the damn spring compressor.....like a rocket when doing it.

yes you have a goood point..but, here's a thought worth considering here too:

A- the car, in every other respect is in remarkably good condition..all the other suspension and steering components, drive assembley etc. has been checked and is in great condition, and..

B- The simple fact that here in australia we dont have access to the huge range of well priced, quality after market parts like you guys do..I can see them at online stores..but it is not so easy to access them..,most of the good US online auto parts traders DONT ship outside of continental US, and the ones that do,shipping costs are prohibitive..and genuine parts for toyota/lexus are notoriosly expensive here in australia.

but..... the issue has been resolved..The top strut mounts(part #'s 48603-33021 and 48609-33121) have been changed and the noise has completely gone

Just trying to save $$$$. I know my lower spring isolators were shots, yours will be too (they are rubber), and bumps stop will be gone/hard as a rock/ The boots might be okay and I hope the bearings look nice. Just that it would suck to put just the top mounts on and then down the road the rubber seats go (metal on metal), or the bump stops split...

Good luck..I had the noise for about 2 months and could not take it anymore...Worst part is the damn spring compressor.....like a rocket when doing it.

yes but the condition of our roads and highways here are much better than yours, I travelled through the US in '88 in a 78 t-bird..I couldnt believe the state of the roads..suspension wrecking stuff..and, we dont have extremes of temperature from summer to winter here in the south west of australia..all my rubber components, apart from the top strut mounts..seem to be fine

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, sounds like a strut top and mount assembly. I have a 2000 ES as well and replaced, pulled apart and repaired until I got it right. The top needs to be replaced.