Front/rear Struts

dchauhan

My 97' has 110k on it, and the struts are shot! The suggested replacement for OEM shocks are around 60k miles? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think struts were built much different. I've done all my trucks before they die, just cause of the crappy ride. Aftermarket ones are much better, and I think you would like ride a whole lot more! Seems like these guys here have had luck with the stockers for around 100k miles?

1993 ES300 w/133k and struts are the least of my worries (transmission and head gaskets take up my time); still drives tight, no excessive roll or anything like that. My only complaint is the occasional squeak, but I've been told this is b/c of sway bar bushings and not shocks/struts. My 92 ES, however, had terrible struts at 145k miles, but I never got around to replacing them before I wrecked it.

• 1 month later...

My front left wheel on my '97 has been giving me fits lately. It sounds as though my wheel is wobbling when I go over minor bumps. I do not notice them at higher speeds. I have checked the lugs, the calipers and the rotor and they are all tight. I am down to thinking it must be the suspension some where.

The lower control arms don't seem to be loose. Can it be a bad Strut?

If so, is there a preferred Strut on the market. Pep Boys has a few for around $100-120 and they will install for $50 each.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Check the strut mounts too. My '97 had a rattle at lower speeds over bumps which the dealer said was from the mounts. I bought a set from Tire Rack and replaced them myself - problem solved! It was much easier than I thought, but I had the proper tools. I used Autozone's tool loan program for the spring compessor and I borrowed a 3/4" breaker bar and 19mm and 22mm sockets from work. You also need a torque wrench. If you have all the tools, it's pretty easy. I have the Haynes manual for the Camry/Avalon/ES300 also.