Have Codes & Smoking (Video)

miamistyle

Hey guys, need some help if you can!

My poor '96 LS400 is running horrible. It sat for about 10 months while I was away. The gas was pretty much empty when I left. I added 10 gallons of Supreme and started her up. There is white smoke coming out of the exhaust (see video) and a very bad smell of fuel from the exhaust. Autozone Scanner gave these codes:

p0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire

p0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire

P0396 Cylinder 6 Misfire

I drove it again around the block and it started smoking worse and it gave me the same codes above plus 2 new codes 4 & 8 Cylinder misfire. It's running rough obviously and check engine light is blinking. Kind of weird that after driving it a second time it said 4 and 8 now misfiring.

Could it be bad gas even though it was just about empty then I added 10 fresh gallons? I havent pulled the plugs yet, it got dark but will inspect and replace all plugs tomorrow. ANY help or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

VIDEO OF SMOKING:

Maybe moisture under distributor cap? Or corrosion, its pretty corrosive (salt mist) in FL isn't it?

Funny you said that, I thought about that as well. I went out to check them only to find that there are some covers half way up in the way and then ran out of daylight. Guess I'll snoop around here to see what it takes to get to the distributor caps.

When you leave one sitting for that long with an effectively empty fuel tank, you're getting condensation in the tank... so you're now trying to burn water instead of gasoline.

Condensation in my tank was my first thought. In addition to the 10 gallons of fresh gas I put a bottle of some water absorber stuff in but doubt it did anything. Looks like I might want to see about draining my tank. I've been searching for a while and havent found anything on the procedure.

Not sure if this is related, but while starting up my 95 LS400 it started to misfire real bad and white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. I didn't think to look if the CEL was on but after 30 seconds it smothed out. On of the members here said it sounded like power steering fluid had gotten into the throttle body. I caped off the vacume lines form the PS to the throttle body and haven't had any problems since. Maybe that is what happened to yours. Does it still run rough? Have you found the problem yet?