Buick Lacrosse Vs Lexus Es350

trev0006

Interesting video.

I haven't driven the Lacrosse but I have sat in a few of them...and they don't do anything for me. The interior is busy and full of weird angles that IMHO will date it quickly, materials aren't great and the wood is a not particularly good imitation. It feels like you're sitting in a Buick...

Ride and drive might be great, but thats not going to be enough. Plus they compared the 2010 Buick to the 2009 ES, the 2010 ES has several improvements that they mentioned as issues (trim, double stitched leather seats in the UL model) and its priced less. When you take the UL ES off the table the ES is cheaper than the Lacrosse and it certainly will have much better resale...

Not to mention the brand panache issue...

Compare the Lacrosse to a Hyundai Genesis and it will put it to shame...

I would like to see a long term test. How will the Buick hold up? How about dealer service? Warranty service? Whenever I had service at a GM dealer it was a pain. My GM cars from 1995 to 2004, 6 vehicles all, had multiple problems under warranty with crappy service at multiple dealers. My 04 ES had one problem with great service. I just don't trust GM. Did hear him say leather seats optional in the ES?

Tim

Thats another point too. Technically they are optional...but Lexus only ships the car three ways...and all have leather...so it really is standard.

• 2 weeks later...

When the LaCrosse first came out and the heavy marketing comparing it the ES350 was in full swing we thought it would be fun to pull up to the Buick dealer in our 08 ES350 UL. The salesman literally ran out of the building and you could practically hear him yelling "whooo hoo" So we looked one over as it sat next to the Lexus and he quickly began berating the Lexus rather than selling the Buick. Major turn off, you don't sell cars by berating what I drove onto the lot. The first thing about the Buick, well it is so bulky. Compared to the long low lines of the Lexus it seemed downright chunky and heavy-handed in it's styling. As for the interior, I would like it if everything didn't seem so cheap and plasticky. It did ride nice but I thought the engine was noisy, but that's me. We got back to the dealership and the saleman almost had the plates off the Lexus already. We handed the keys back and told him all the ways it didn't even compare to the Lexus, I told him it was a good effort but it would never get me out of the Lexus.

• 4 weeks later...

When I look to buy an automobile, I consider gas mileage, resale, and reliability. A 1974 AMC Gremlin was the last American car I owned (don't judge!). Since American cars tend to cost less, and I do have some sense of patiotism (which can be a whole different conversation) , I continue to look at American cars, but have yet to buy another one.

The video pointed out the differnces in the rides. It is ironic that my preference for soft cushy rides stem from a ride I took in a 1972 Buick Electra 225. (Yes, I'm that old)

I can agree with the above comments. The Lacrosse is not that bad, but it's big and bulky just like the Taurus and the center dash is really 'busy'. I do believe GM designed the car to steal some 'thunder' away from the ES. Lexus should be flattered...but don't fall asleep at the wheel... :D

My wife and I went to the NY auto show and sat only in cars we were interested in to determine seat comfort, leg room and other stuff that can be determined w/o a test ride. Among the group were the Buick Lacross and Lexus 350. Particularly for comfort reasons, the Lexus was our choice and we bought one w/ nav. After 2500 miles, gas mileage is quite good, tech system very nice, plenty of power but Bridgestone tires and mushy suspension can't handle it. Compared to our pontiacs and Maxima, it rolls too much and has very little rubber on the ground. The video says the Buick handling is no better. So my recommendation is as long as you're OK with mediocre handling, I think you'll like the Lexus. I'm sad that I can't recommend 'American' since we've owned/leased about 12 American cars and 4 foreign cars in our lifetime.

harryn

The ES is not made for 'hard' driving or cornering. IMO if a car is 'off center' then perhaps it's driver error. Some cars are meant to be driven hard, BMW, Infiniti and even low end Nissan's. However, if a smooth, quiet, 'I'm not in a hurry ride' is what one is looking for, then I think the ES fits quite nicely, Come to think of it, maybe that's why the ES attracts a more mature driver.... :geek:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple of comments. The Buick Lacrosse is a nice looking car and I am sure that some will buy it over a Lexus (I have an 08 ES350 UL). I am waiting to see how the reliability comes out over time....then maybe I would consider it IF I don't stay with another Lexus. On the handling of the Lexus, I always tell everyone that if you want a quiet comfortable luxury ride, go with the Lexus. If you want a driver's handling car and want to drive 80 mph around a curve and feel it, get a BMW or Infiniti....but it is noisier inside ("drivers" like to hear the engine) and it is not as luxurious inside (in my opinion).