Vais Installation Help On Lexus Gx470 2006

DocJohn

I went to a local stereo shop to have them install it for me in my lexus gx470 2006. They had a bad experience before with the GX470 when pulling the wood panels out on both sides of the radio. One broke, they are bought in pairs and run about $500. They did not want to have to pay for another pair. So they would only install the unit I said I would pay for the panels if they broke. My local dealer won't install aftermarket parts. Any suggestions? How fragile are these panels?

Thanks

Have you asked your dealer about installing your VAIS components? The reason I ask is that at least some Lexus dealers offered VAIS components as dealer installed options.

Your "local stereo shop" may just be paranoid due to the skills or lack thereof of their employee installers. Maybe I have a faulty perception but the stereo shop installers I've dealt with haven't been very competent.

Here are instructions from Pro.Fit that discusses removing the wood trim: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/MV-50-03-L-p2.pdf

Sounds pretty easy to me. Try using a plastic trim removal tool to pop the wood out -- be gentle but firm. You can probably buy a plastic trim removal tool at an auto parts store but I particularly like the one I bought from Pro.Fit. I haven't removed radio surround trim in a GX but I have in other cars including two LS400s, a Camry, a bunch of Hondas, Volvos, Mercedes, etc. and I haven't broken anything yet.

I did ask the dealership but they will not install aftermarket parts. Eugene at Vais found a local installer that will do the job. I am having it done next Tuesday. They use Vais Tech often and speak very highly of the equipment. Thanks

I installed the VAIS on my '05 GX and it's not that difficult, from 0 to 10 (hardest) I would rate it a 5. It took about 30-45 minutes. I put the VAIS unit under the glove box panel so it can be easily remove or change the mode. Good luck with the mod.

• 5 months later...

I went to a local stereo shop to have them install it for me in my lexus gx470 2006.  They had a bad experience before with the GX470 when pulling the wood panels out on both sides of the radio.  One broke, they are bought in pairs and run about $500.  They did not want to have to pay for another pair.  So they would only install the unit I said I would pay for the panels if they broke.  My local dealer won't install aftermarket parts.  Any suggestions?  How fragile are these panels?  

Thanks

they are tougher than you'd think but.......i broke the driver side one myself earlier in the year when i installed my coastal etech ultimate lockpick.. i bought a replacement on ebay for under 200 shipped. since replacing it i have taken everything apart again a few times to install a VAIS SL2xmt v.4.41 and program it.

good luck with locating a replacement