Brake Rotors

LA1

Hello,

I am in need of new front rotors for my 92 LS and I was wondering if there is a specific brand(s) that people recommend or any brand(s) to avoid. I have searched but didn't come up with much.

Thanks

Most cheaper online rotors will work just fine. You'll save a few bucks, and as long as you don't drive like it's the daytona 500(i.e. NOT Like me :D ). OEM rotors from the dealer will set you back a pretty penny, but also come with the warm fuzzy feeling of quality and reliablity. Brembo direct replacement rotors will be even more expensive, but probably the best on the market. They'll last and stop hard. EBC also make a comparable product that is a bit cheaper and more resonable. Many people will say OEM is the way to go, if you don't want to have any worries shell out the extra dough for OEM.

I was only able to find Raybestos rotors for my 92 and they were more expensive than dealer wholesale. So I bought the factory parts, and unlike most rotors they have a ground finish, not machined. Absolutely beautiful quality.

Buy factory rotors.

The 93 and later are more readily available in the aftermarket as the 91-92 are the only years of the smaller size rotors.

Thanks for the replies, I am wanting to go with a cheaper set (rockauto.com had some good prices) as $$ is tight right now and I wasn't sure if it was okay or not.

Thanks again.

I went with non OEM rotors in the back about 12 months ago and no complaints. I went to dealer first asking for OEMs and he sheepishly quoted me two prices, Lexus and non Lexus. I took that as tacit admission non OEM were OK (and that OEM through dealer are a rip off). Then went to a local foreign car parts store and got then for ½ the price of the dealer.

Just went with non-OEM rotors on the front and they are doing fine.

I'd be careful with generic discs. Make sure they're not the crap from china. Otherwise, one heavy app of your brakes and they'll warp before you release the pedal!

I'd be careful with generic discs. Make sure they're not the crap from china. Otherwise, one heavy app of your brakes and they'll warp before you release the pedal!

Whoops! What do ya know...their the crap ones from China. :o :lol:

To the OP: I know its nice to save a buck, but brake rotors are not the place. Buy OEM. You bought a Lexus. Spend the dough and do it right.

Thanks again for the replies. I generally try to avoid anything made in China, especially automotive. I appreciate the reminder to check before I buy them!

I am embarrassed to ask as most automotive items on ebay are junk, but has anyone tried the sets available on ebay? The USA made ones like such:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-92-Lexus-LS400-Drilled-Slotted-Brake-Rotors-F-R-/250599200664?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a58e05798

I am fortunate enough to have great parts sources from enthusiasts for my Rover (it is great to have your parts sources know you by name, willing to help with any mechanical questions, and unwilling to sell junk) but I don't have to do much to the Lexus so I really don't have a parts source and don't know where to look. Any recommendations?

I am fortunate enough to have great parts sources from enthusiasts for my Rover (it is great to have your parts sources know you by name, willing to help with any mechanical questions, and unwilling to sell junk) but I don't have to do much to the Lexus so I really don't have a parts source and don't know where to look. Any recommendations?

Have you tried your local Lexus dealer? I know, too pricey. But I buy parts off my dealer all the time. First I find the OEM part online and get the best price. Then I ask for the same price and they have always matched it. In fact, I just went in today and when the parts manager saw me (and it has been months) he said "You're the guy who always beats me up on price". Righto. He said I was the ONLY one who has ever asked for a discount. Ask and ye shall receive. :rolleyes: It is to the point now that he just automatically takes 20% off the list for me. Nice.

Anyway, if you have a dealer close by, go and "beat them up" . :chairshot: They will soon know you by name! B)

If you're not ready to punch it up with your local dealer, or you're not as convincing as Landar, there is another way to get a discount. Ask the shop where you have a good relationship and which does work on your car when you don't want to yourself, to order the part for you. Dealers always discount parts for local garages as long as they provide their mechanic's licence # when placing the order. Typically a minimum of 15 - 20%. You can even pick it up yourself and save the delivery charge to the shop. Yet another is to scout this forum. There are online shops who advertise here or are mentioned in any number of threads that will discount oem parts. Some of them are even Lexus dealers.

The closest dealer is ~3 hours away and I do all of my own work.

Anyway I found a good price on Brembos so it looks like I will go with them.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I found them here for $54 each.

http://www.lexuspartstore.com/catalog/?N=10991+4294963727+1656+9179+832

They aren't slotted or drilled but that doesn't bother me. I did notice that it says 92-93 but below it says 92 all submodels.... I inquired about them being for 91-92 before I order and haven't heard anything back yet. I also looked them up for a 91 and it shows them being cheaper and mentions that some 90s were retrofitted.

that seems really strange. The 90-92 have the same brakes and the 93-94 have the same brakes. If anything I would get the one for 91 if they are cheaper. I think what they meen by 92-93 is models produced after a certin date in 92 are called 93 model year.