New Investment

Marklouis

we have just reserved one of these Tesla Model S all electric sedans for later 2012 - i know it's not Lexus related, but it caught my interest immediately because I am a fan of the Tesla roadster (or anything fast) and this would be a great investment for the future - Im still keeping my Lexus because it's paid off and will outlast me probably. But i thought I would share this new toy with you guys and thought you might enjoy checking it out.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/index.php

Nice looking cars but these guys have some voodoo science going on.

They say 300 miles on a $4 charge. That’s $0.0133 per mile. A 30MPG car at $3/gal gas is $0.10 per mile.

I know gas engines aren't super efficient but electricity has losses too. There are losses of energy in the charging system, in the batteries, in the electronics to the motor and the motor itself. I just find it hard to believe there is a 10x efficiency pick up with electric. I think the $/mile claims are exaggerated on all these electric cars.

Nice looking cars but these guys have some voodoo science going on.

They say 300 miles on a $4 charge. That’s $0.0133 per mile. A 30MPG car at $3/gal gas is $0.10 per mile.

I know gas engines aren't super efficient but electricity has losses too. There are losses of energy in the charging system, in the batteries, in the electronics to the motor and the motor itself. I just find it hard to believe there is a 10x efficiency pick up with electric. I think the $/mile claims are exaggerated on all these electric cars.

I agree the claims are exaggerated and I'm also somewhat skeptical - they really don't need to use fudged numbers as "+- amount of coal/gas consumed = +- amount of electricity used" as a selling point because I was sold on the fact that my wife doesnt have to stop at a gas station again and we can charge it in the garage at night - and the fact it looks like an Austin Martin and not an ugly little eggshell. I believe this technology will keep improving and have longer ranges as well - We can get rid of our $400 monthly gas bill also.

Marklouis,

Looks like a nice car! 300 miles on a single charge is great. I found it interesting where the website states that the base price includes the $7,500 tax credit. Does mean that the price is really $57,400?

Good that you're keeping your Lexus. It'll make a great road trip car while the Tesla could serve as a city run-about.

Congrats on the new toy. :)

Micah

Marklouis,

Looks like a nice car! 300 miles on a single charge is great. I found it interesting where the website states that the base price includes the $7,500 tax credit. Does mean that the price is really $57,400?

Good that you're keeping your Lexus. It'll make a great road trip car while the Tesla could serve as a city run-about.

Congrats on the new toy. :)

Micah

yes, the Base price is $57,400, but may drop or rise the closer it gets to crunch time - the rebate will keep going up for sure I hope. The only reason I bought the Lex is because of it's longevity, comfort, safety, and decent gas mileage - and it's the best "used" car in most categories. and i will continue enjoying it for sure -

I have never bought a new car, and this would be my first - I'm willing to take the plunge and go through all the little technical challenges ahead with this model S, but the Roadster has had great reviews so far on reliability and quality, so hoping this would be the same.

How much more will they charge you for the extra 300 mile battery? It says you only get the 160 mile battery with the base model. If you can really get 5-7 years like they say per battery, then it seems like electric cars are becoming more and more of a sustainable option. So long as a new battery doesn't run you $6K+ like most batteries of this type. BTW I think it looks more like a Maserati than an Aston. Never the less it's a stunningly good looking car.

How much more will they charge you for the extra 300 mile battery? It says you only get the 160 mile battery with the base model. If you can really get 5-7 years like they say per battery, then it seems like electric cars are becoming more and more of a sustainable option. So long as a new battery doesn't run you $6K+ like most batteries of this type. BTW I think it looks more like a Maserati than an Aston. Never the less it's a stunningly good looking car.

good question, hopefully not too expensive on the extra range - it's lithium ion battery packs and I can only see the number of cells as being the difference in them. 600lb - 1200lb battery pack, thats a lot of power cells! and the longevity 5-7 years or more surely is a plus - battery maintanance and the correct charging methods can lengthen the life of the cells. I believe some of the original Prius battery packs are still going stron also. the 160 mile range pack is still the longest range for any EV, so that would be satisfactory for now. another thing is they hope to build Battery switching stations accross the country, which is still long ways down the road, but will be an awesome convenience.

and it does look more like a Maserati your right, EV's don't have to look so geeky!