Remote Touch Vs. Touch Screen

Hello everyone, I am new here. We have finally decided to upgrade from Toyota RAV4 to Lexus RX 350. The RAV4 is a great car though. I have an issue with the concept of using remote touch in the 2010 RX. I think it requires a lot of concentration. Yes, it can not be used when the car is in motion.

Does anyone have experience using the 2009 and 2010 Lexus RX 350 nav systems. Which one is easier to use, the 2010 remote touch or 2009 touch screen? I really can not rely on professional car reviewers. Owners are the best reviewers. I have to decide between getting a 2010 or a 2009. And this is the main concern we have. Please let me know what you have experienced with the two systems. Thank you in advance. Hiwa

...Yes, it can not be used when the car is in motion....

Actually some of the functions can be used when in motion. Granted not as many as you may desire, but audio, climate control, some navigation functions, limited phone to name some off the top of my head.

I'm sorry I can't compare it to another system, but sitting back comfortably in the seat and resting my hand on the remote controller would seem more natural to me then leaning forward and pushing on a screen or turning knobs. Plus you can adjust the amount of vibration feedback you feel in your hand as you roll over the icons. You will build a "muscle memory", if you will, the more you use the menus.

Lexus and most other car manufacturers will lock out some navigation or phone controls, so you won't be concentrating on the controls rather than driving. Which is a pain in the a**, but override systems are available.

A test drive is in order.

• 4 weeks later...

I love it myself. Like you said you don't have to reach or sometimes lean foward to touch the screen. I find it very useful and easy to use and the screen is close enough to the dash you don't take you eyes off the road but for just a second. My wife has an IS250 and you have to touch the screen on hers and I don't like it near as much as mine.

Bob

• 1 year later...

I went from using an in-dash touch screen nav to the 2011 RX remote touch. In the RX, the controller is positioned perfectly, where my right hand naturally falls right on it. Because of that, I find myself constantly fiddling with something on-screen, be it nav, audio, custom settings, etc, because the controller is so natural.

I like it a lot. When I get in my wife's TSX with the control wheel thing, I am still looking for the remote touch...