Radiator Hoses - Routine Replacement?

bplaney

I'm going to replace my serpentine belt over the next couple weeks. I've decided against replacing the water pump until (hopefully) the next timing belt replacement. At 109k miles, should I replace the upper and lower radiator hoses just because I will be flushing out the old coolant, so why not? I have no idea from the meager pile of service receipts that came with the car when I bought it at 97k miles whether those hoses were ever replaced. Is there a way to tell how much life is left in them?

In short, no, there really is no way to tell if they are ready to let loose. However, if a visual inspection reveals noticeable cracks and bulging then yes, time to replace. Heat and time break the hose material down. If you have concerns, I would just go ahead and replace them. Its cheap insurance.

BTW, what year is your...GS300? You know this is the LS400 forum?

the factory original upper and lower radiator hoses are the toughest of all the cooling system hoses and are good for 25-35+ years or many hundreds of thousands of miles in my experience with about 15 toyotas, if the cooling system is well maintained and the engine is never overheated.

Psychologically, owners are predisposed to worry about maintenance items that are highly visible (e.g. the huge radiator hoses, the serpentine belt, tires, etc) but not invisible items that are far more important like the air filter, pre-cat oxygen sensor(s), cleanliness of your throttle plate, spark plugs and similar items which dramatically affect power and fuel economy.

In short, no, there really is no way to tell if they are ready to let loose. However, if a visual inspection reveals noticeable cracks and bulging then yes, time to replace. Heat and time break the hose material down. If you have concerns, I would just go ahead and replace them. Its cheap insurance.

BTW, what year is your...GS300? You know this is the LS400 forum?

1999 - and the GS forum doesn't seem to want to answer this question for me. I don't think radiator hoses age differently across models...

the factory original upper and lower radiator hoses are the toughest of all the cooling system hoses and are good for 25-35+ years or many hundreds of thousands of miles in my experience with about 15 toyotas, if the cooling system is well maintained and the engine is never overheated.

Psychologically, owners are predisposed to worry about maintenance items that are highly visible (e.g. the huge radiator hoses, the serpentine belt, tires, etc) but not invisible items that are far more important like the air filter, pre-cat oxygen sensor(s), cleanliness of your throttle plate, spark plugs and similar items which dramatically affect power and fuel economy.

True in so many areas of life...

1999 - and the GS forum doesn't seem to want to answer this question for me. I don't think radiator hoses age differently across models...

Sorry, must have missed seeing the year in your signature (unless just added). We can give you answers, right or wrong! Same low price. B)