Smeel From Ac ?

Hi everyone,

Just started to use my AC and there is horrible smell coming from the AC. Does anyone else have this problem ? I read about some white dust issue ??? can someone clarify.

Thanks

Some of the 07-08 Rx's have this problem where the AC/Heat blows out tiny white specs (like powdered sugar). You'd notice them all over the dash. The evaporator core has a coating on the inside that prevents mold and such. After time, the coating flakes off and the powder just comes out of the vents. Some people complain about AC odor as well, but i don't think they're related.

In March i had the evap core replaced in my Rx400h (i had the white dust and smell problem). Dust is gone, but i still get the AC odor every once and a while...

Some of the 07-08 Rx's have this problem where the AC/Heat blows out tiny white specs (like powdered sugar). You'd notice them all over the dash. The evaporator core has a coating on the inside that prevents mold and such. After time, the coating flakes off and the powder just comes out of the vents. Some people complain about AC odor as well, but i don't think they're related.

In March i had the evap core replaced in my Rx400h (i had the white dust and smell problem). Dust is gone, but i still get the AC odor every once and a while...

Another relatively recent post mentioned that Texaco Express Lube places have a product that stops the smell.

Another relatively recent post mentioned that Texaco Express Lube places have a product that stops the smell.

Actually, here is the post - from 2010RX forum, dated Apr. 29th:

Tomcan,

Texaco Express Lube has a treatment for the AC evaporator that eliminates mold and odor. Surely Lexus has access to a similar evaporator fix. Nevertheless, to be getting odor at such a low mileage, may indicate a moisture drainage problem in the evaporator chamber. Good Luck.....Luke

View PostTomcan, on 20 March 2010 - 10:52 AM, said:

Have 2010 RX350 with 18,000 km and experiencing intermittent very foul smell from HVAC system. The dealer says it could be mould on the evaporator or the evaporator drain is clogged or both. Smell doesn't start until RX is at operating temperature. Auto sensing mode that is supposed to detect harmful substances in outside air does switch to re-circulation mode but only reduces odor.

Smell can be so bad that I have to turn off HVAC and open the windows.

Lexus USA has issued a TISB L-SB-0068-09 dated June 2,2009 which does cover the change of evaporator sub-assembly on 2007-2009 RX350. I've been told that 2010 RX350 has same evaporator as 2009 RX350 but haven't been able to confirm it. All RX350's for past 3 or 4 model years have been made in Canada and all major components are same for RX350 sold in both countries. For some reason Lexus Canada doesn't like to acknowledge Lexus USA TSIB even with all RX350's being built in Canada.

It's been 4 weeks and dealer and Lexus haven't decided on remedy. Not what you expect from Lexus.

Good luck!