Ecm Reprogram For Recall (Brake Fuel Shutoff)

My car (08 IS350) is scheduled for the accelerator pedal refit and an ECM reprogram which supposedly is to shut off the the fuel when the brake is pressed. What I am wondering is if this will effect normal driving? I assume that it will only be if the car is shut off but the dealer hasn't really explained. Anybody know the scoop?

thanks

My car (08 IS350) is scheduled for the accelerator pedal refit and an ECM reprogram which supposedly is to shut off the the fuel when the brake is pressed. What I am wondering is if this will effect normal driving? I assume that it will only be if the car is shut off but the dealer hasn't really explained. Anybody know the scoop?

thanks

Interesting that you posted this today. I just got back from the dealer with my '08 IS250, on which they did the accelerator pedal/carpet/ECU recall. I had the same concerns, because I had heard that depressing the brake and accelerator hard at the same time, after the ECU flash, would shut off the car... so I asked for clarification. The service mgr. said that if the ECU 'sees' the accelerator and brake being depressed hard simultaneously, it simply ignores the gas, and allows the brake to do its job. It doesn't turn the car off, or even cut the fuel off. I would imagine that there is a bit more to it than that, but I'd also wager that there are more than a couple of certified Lexus mechanics that peruse this board as well. Maybe one will chime in for us.

Interesting that you posted this today. I just got back from the dealer with my '08 IS250, on which they did the accelerator pedal/carpet/ECU recall. I had the same concerns, because I had heard that depressing the brake and accelerator hard at the same time, after the ECU flash, would shut off the car... so I asked for clarification. The service mgr. said that if the ECU 'sees' the accelerator and brake being depressed hard simultaneously, it simply ignores the gas, and allows the brake to do its job. It doesn't turn the car off, or even cut the fuel off. I would imagine that there is a bit more to it than that, but I'd also wager that there are more than a couple of certified Lexus mechanics that peruse this board as well. Maybe one will chime in for us.

Thanks for the response! If it is as you describe and only when they are both pushed hard then I am ok with the fix. I don't normally do heel/toe driving (actually I never have in the IS) but I am against taking it away. I wish they would make what they are doing a little clearer..

I put up a post on this subject back on April 26 under the heading of "floor mat recall". I will be taking my 07 IS250 into the dealer tomorrow for the pedal pad, accelerator/brake and floor mat fix. I will ask about the accelerator and brake reprogramming and post a response under my post for the floor mat recall when I get my car back. As a side note the dealer is giving me a loaner while the work is being done. Glad I saw this post before I go in tomorrow.

OK I am back from the dealer for my recall fix. What the fix entailed on my 07 IS250 was to replace the pedal pad with a shorter pad so it won't catch on the floor mat when the peddle is pushed all the way to the floor. Also they did the brake reprogramming so if the car accelerates and you step on the brakes to slow the car the programming disconnects the fly by wire on the gas peddle. This will not turn the engine off but leaves you with power to operate the brakes. Sounds like a simple fix to me but I am not a mechanic or programmer. Just a side note on the loaner car, I was given a 2010 IS250. The car is basically the same as mine except it had the sport suspension, new upgraded nav system and Bridgestone Tourag tires. To me the ride was just a tad bit firmer than stock, I like the look of my nav verses the updated version and the tires were way quieter than the potenzas that are on my 250. They also topped up my gas tank. That's the best information I can give here and it was because of the post by remat457 and the response by IS_Willie that I knew what questions to ask. Thanks to both of them and I hope this makes sense to everyone concerned.

OK I am back from the dealer for my recall fix. What the fix entailed on my 07 IS250 was to replace the pedal pad with a shorter pad so it won't catch on the floor mat when the peddle is pushed all the way to the floor. Also they did the brake reprogramming so if the car accelerates and you step on the brakes to slow the car the programming disconnects the fly by wire on the gas peddle. This will not turn the engine off but leaves you with power to operate the brakes. Sounds like a simple fix to me but I am not a mechanic or programmer. Just a side note on the loaner car, I was given a 2010 IS250. The car is basically the same as mine except it had the sport suspension, new upgraded nav system and Bridgestone Tourag tires. To me the ride was just a tad bit firmer than stock, I like the look of my nav verses the updated version and the tires were way quieter than the potenzas that are on my 250. They also topped up my gas tank. That's the best information I can give here and it was because of the post by remat457 and the response by IS_Willie that I knew what questions to ask. Thanks to both of them and I hope this makes sense to everyone concerned.

Thanks for filling in the details Nick!

They gave me an RX to drive. They are really nice, but I certainly prefer the sporty feel of my IS. They also filled my gas tank. The girl who set my appointment told me that they would, so I made sure the tank was as low as possible when I took it in. ;)

Thanks IS_Willie!!! Yes I knew they were going to put gas in the tank but the wife filled up a couple of days before. I want to put a good word in for my Lexus Dealer, Lexus Stevens Creek in Santa Clara California. Every time I have been there they have treated my very well from the time I went in to look at the IS250 that I ended up buying through to the service department. I admit that it is a tad expensive to have the car serviced there however the customer service is outstanding. I never got that kind of treatment when I bought any American car. Maybe because it is a Penske dealership and they work to higher standards. I really do like "my wife's" IS250 when I can get it away from her as it is her daily driver.

Thanks for the info Nick!

Well, my 2008 is350 is there now and since I won't be able to pick it up before they close I got a loaner car overnight. It is a 2010 hs250. I do like the new flip up NAV display and the i-drive'ish controls. Also the voice recognition seems to be improved over mine. However, even in "power mode" this car drives slower than the is at idling in drive. :P

Dealer assures me they have done a lot of these upgrades and no one has complained about it impacting the driveability. What sold it for me was that all of the new cars will have the ECM reprogram anyway.

Will give a report after I get it back tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks

This is true...In a way... If the ECU sees or computes the brake and the gas being pressed...(which in the recent problem for the recall, thats what happens... Brake applied and gas automatically applied by error....) But when and after flashed and brake is applied and the gas pedal acknowledgemnt is ignored and motor shuts to IDLE... Not off or slow down...But motor immediately goes to IDLE... Just had mine done with my 1st oil change and ownership in the past 2 weeks of my IS... :geek:

after being here on this sight for approx 2weeks and reading all of these random issues here and there that seemed to be my 06 is250 is starting to have and random stages...(vsc check light, studder under gas or break, uneven head light adj, 1 sec valve ticking sound at start, small ticking sound under car continously...and more) Dropped my car off today...and in turn... They gave me a freaking HS250 Hybrid!!! :censored: :chairshot: But whatever......... Just fix my dang car!