Shocks And/or Strut Bushings

mikehammer

I have a 1999 LS400 with 156K. Still in beautiful condition. I had the strut/tie rod bushings replaced at 104K. I'm starting to get some vibration just like when I had the bushings replaced before; could they need replacing again? The car leads a pretty easy life. Also, it's starting to feel sort of boatlike; I'm assuming the shocks (not air suspension) need to be replaced. My indie shop says $2,300...really? Interested in everyone's experience.

You can buy a full set of KYB or Tokico replacement shocks for less than $400. Install at a decent place should be more than $200, I always do them myself but you may not have the inclination to do so. Check the upper mounts and replace as required while they're apart. I didn't and now mine squeak like hell, very irritating.

I had the strut/tie rod bushings replaced at 104K. I'm starting to get some vibration just like when I had the bushings replaced before; could they need replacing again?

Yes, it is possible. I had the strut bars and bushings replaced on my 00 LS400 at 80-some-K miles and I don't plan to wait until they get in that horrible condition again -- I plan to arbitrarily replace them at the 150K service if they last that long since I know there is no way they will make it to the 180K service.

By 156,000 miles on my first, generation 1 (1990), LS400, I had replaced most "normal wear" suspension components including ball joints. At this point, I really don't know if ball joints on my 00 LS are going to fail at the same rate as on my 90 LS. Except for the strut bar bushings, my 00 LS seems far more "robust" than my 90 LS did and I suspect suspension parts (except for those damned strut bars) are going to last substantially longer.

Hey Blake (if your read this), how are the other suspension parts on your 99 LS holding up -- don't you have something like 180K on your car?

Have your done a simple bounce test on your LS? I'm doubting that your shocks are worn out.

I have done a bounce test...it's not like a pogo stick or anything, just one good bounce and a couple of minor bounces. It's just feeling softer than it used to; could be my failing memory. Appreciate your post.

I have a similar situation with my '97 with 180k. The ride is feeling more "boatlike" or "floaty". I had strut rods replaced at about 110,000 and have the same experience when doing the "bounce" test on each corner. I am planning on changing struts with KYB. While I may not need them, I figure it has to be an improvement over the originals with 180k.

I had the dealer and an independent frame shop check the suspension recently. Both could not spot a problem.

In any case, I am curious to see how you come out. Please keep us posted

• 4 weeks later...